Alembic F-1X users, share your EQ settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 16, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bass: 0.5 to 2 (depending on room)
    Mid: Always at 10
    Treble: 0 to 1 (depending on room)
    Deep Switch Off, Bright Switch on

Playing through an MTD 535, flat EQ, 1/4 down on treble* for slap stuff...

...and you?

*and maybe 1/4 bump up on the bass knob, too.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    when I had one:

Bass: 4/5
    Mid: 10
    Treble: 2/3
    Deep off/bright off

That worked well for me for most sounds
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a few faves.

deep off, b-m-t 4-9-6
    deep off, b-m-t 10-10-10
    deep on, b-m-t 3-9-4
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    treb - 11:00
    mid - 1:00
    bass - 11:00

brite/deep off

with my sadowsky, usually set at the "flat" setting (2-10-2), and EQ'd with the onboard.

a terrific match with my Epifani cabs, too. nice blend of fat, rich, burly tube w/ hifi punch.
  5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    For a basic meat and potatoes Jazz Bass tone (wide open, tone at 80%)

Bass - 6
    Mid - 7
    Treble - 5.5
    Bright off

For slap, dub, fat bass

Bass - 7
    Mid - 5
    Treble - 5.5
  6. Bright off
    Deep off

Bass 12:00
    Mid: 1:00
    Treble: 1:00

Playing a Ric.
  7. Bass 3
    Mid 10
    Treble 3

Bright off
    Deep off

Volume 5.5

Playing with a Dingwall Prima 6.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    On my F-2B:

Volume: 5
    Bass: 3-4
    Middle: 10
    Treble: 7
    Brite Switch: off

Values are according to the numers on the controls (not like clock times).
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, I'm really surprised that I seem to be the only fan of the bright switch here. Me likes it. :)
  10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh i did the bright a lot, i just left that blank as sometimes i did it, sometimes not

BTW, lets all be clear here. when i and most others use numbers on the alembic dial, i'm actually referring to the numbers from 1 to 10 printed on around the knob itself, NOT clock positions like most other times. it seems like some of you are posting clock positions, which is OK, but say/write "o'clock"
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Jokerjkny used clock positions, but I understood with the colons and "time" format what he meant. :)

Good point Zombywoof for pointing out volume setting, which does make a difference IME, especially with the bright switch (probably the deep switch too, but I don't use it so I don't know for sure). I also run my volume at around 5.
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I do also use the bright switch (which sounds good) on occasion, so I should've mentioned it.

Another thing...which input do you all use?

I've always used Input 1 for everything from passive P's & J's to the higher output active Alembics and Wals. But since I got the 1400w power amp, I've discovered that using Input 2 with my Wal (which has pretty high output pickups) is plenty good too.

I imagine that most people still just use Input 1 though, for the extra oomph, no?
  13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the volume makes a difference with the bright switch (the higher the volume the less the bright switch does - it just shunts high frequencies around the volume control, so when the volume is at "0" the effect is negated)

as far as i know, the volume has no effect on the deep switch (which changes the value of a capacitor in the bass control). the super freaky thing is that the deep switch affects the voicing of all of the controls, not just bass. treble in particular becomes much more sensitive, and any setting past 6 is crazy. i belive this all comes from the eq being passive interactive, which means each time you move one knob, it changes what the other 2 knobs do to an extent. very freaky till you get used to it.

as far as inputs go, i always used #1. i never had a bass hot enough to use #2, (and my '86 tobias has the hottest output of any bass i've ever used). the cool thing about those inputs is when you plug a bass into each one they divide the signal equally. you can use it as a primitive a/b box - plugging two basses in and just turning the volume of the unused bass all the way off.
  14. Hello everyone, first post from a long time lurker.

On my F1-X (most of the time):

bass @ 3
    Mid @ 10
    Treble @ 1

both switches off

I use the #2 input with my '92 MM5, the #1 with everything else (the '92 has a hot output).

BTW, I occasionally use the F1-X at the church I play at, and it sounds great thru in-ear monitors.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

you guys are really makin' me regret selling my F-1X. :(
  16. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Generally I just run it flat at about 2-8-2 and do my midrange tweaks with an outboard parametric EQ. Depending on the room I might boost treble or hit the bright switch, but rarely, if ever, do any bass boostin' (hmmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with Acme's being pushed by 2000 watts...)

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Great info, as the Brown Truck just rolled up with my new
    F-1X. I've got some experimenting to do!!!

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm really diggin it :D

I did an A/B against my usual Ampeg SVP-Pro for myself and 2 of the guitar players in my band last week, each seperately ... we all chose the F-1X (they didn't know which they were hearing), even just with all the controls on '5'. It just had a much warmer/wider/deeper/clearer/more complete sound. I immediately swapped the SVP out of my rack and did the rehersal with the Alembic. Very nice, even though I'm still getting the hang of the tone controls.

I took the pre home and I've been messing with the EQ ... there are a BUNCH of cool sounds in there. My overall favorite so far is: both switches 'on', bass 4, mid 7-9, high 2-3. Very modern and deep. But I also really like some of the twangy "old fender" type sounds you can get. It sounds a lot like my Rivera guitar amp on some settings.

Great with the sadowsky, and also absolutely amazing what it does to my Modulus 5 and maple/ash P-bass.
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  20. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bass: Anywhere from 2 to 4
    Mids: 10 On rare ocassions I'll dial it back a bit, but usually pegged at 10
    Treble: Anywhere from 2 to 6
    Bright & Deep: Usually one or the other on or both off. Rarely both on. I truly believe I could break glass with both on.

Freq: 850, sometimes a little higher.

I noticed nobody else posted where you have your Frequency knob set. I've noticed that this can have a BIG effect on my tone.

My settings vary from bass to bass.