1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic F-1X vs F-2B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scowboy, Jan 5, 2012.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Does an Alembic F-1X sound about the same as one channel of an Alembic F-2B or is there something more magical about the F-2B?

I've only tried an F-2B but am interested in purchasing one or the other.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    They honestly sound the same. The F2-B has the added advantage of allowing you to cascade the channels together to get a bit of old school tube overdrive.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The F2B is all tube. The F1X uses opamp buffering and can drive a wider variety of loads successfully.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Alembic F-2B is going to be a little more finicky when matching it up with a power amp, regarding the power amp's input impedance/sensitivity (what PW just said).

Also, the F-2B's signal path utilizes both tube stages of the tube (when using just one channel), while the F-1X signal path only uses one of the tube stages (the other tube stage is used for the effects loop).

5. pbassnut

pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I used to have an F-2B and currently have an F-1X. Though I didn't own them at the same time in order to do a real time A/B, (operating from the one brain cell left in my memory) I'd say if there's a sonic difference between them, it's very subtle. The F-1X has a great DI on it which makes it more useful than the F-2B for me. The crossover setup on the F-1X is a good one, but biamping isn't quite the thing it once was given all the great Hi-Fi bass cabinets available these days. However, if you want/need the overdrive capability of cascading one channel into the other and/or have multiple instruments (or a stereo instrument) that you want to be able to use, then the F-2B might be the better option for you.

6. JASON221

JASON221

Oct 6, 2011
    It mybe [​IMG]

7. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    i just picked up an F1-X for super cheap. I would appreciate any input from previous or current users about what cabs, amps etc. you used with yours. I currently own and use SWR goliath II. Berg NV 610. I use Fender and Sadowsky J basses and MM SR 5 HH. I will say this thing apperas to be built like a tank. Thanks.

8. DLaunder

DLaunder

Sep 8, 2010
    NH
    I've used mine in a number of configurations and with different power amps. I even use to Biamp with a 15 and a 210, but have learned from lots of reading here that it wasn't ideal considering the quality cabs out there (as pbassnut has indicated). I currently pair it with my Avatar cabs - 2x10 at 8 ohms and 4x10 at 4 ohms. I run it through an old Carvin HT750 power amp and have in the past run it through a DCM2000. For a long time I would run a two channel compressor for the his and lows when biamping, but I always found I was starving for volume at larger venues. That's when I really started to pair down the rig and get back to the basics of F1X into a power amp and a bunch of tens. There are some really interesting tones I can get from this unit and have toyed with selling it from time to time, but based on how many people hear love it I'm really starting to appreciate it for what it is. I wish I used it more than I do, but I've been bitten by the Genz Benz bug recently.

9. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks DL.

10. pbassnut

pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    The F-1X sounds great with 10s, IMHO and you've got the Rolls Royce with that badass Berg NV 610 so I'd say you're good to go.