1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic F-1X with BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'm wondering if any of you Alembic F-1X users have added a BBE sonic maximizer into your rack setup and kept it there. I've been doing some experimenting with mine and can't decide if it really "maximizes sonics" ;) with the Alembic the way it did in the store with a crappy Hartke rig. It definitely affects the tone somewhat - but I'm just not sure if it really is making a difference worthy of a valued rack space. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Lonnybass

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've had several models of BBE and I used to have a F-1X. For my needs the Alembic did not have enough tonal flexibility, but I did think it got along just fine without any added sheen from phase manipulation. That's with a cab that's got midrange drivers as well as tweeters however. With a cab that wasn't voiced thusly I might have found a higher-spec'd BBE a decent addition.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My experience with sonic maximizers and the like is, they ad something to small or very crappy rigs. They are totally unnecessary with larger or higher quality rigs.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. It wasn't for me, but for someone who might be doing a fair amount of EQing in the treble range on a decent rig, they might find that judicious use of a BBE will do it with less added noise and maybe even a better quality of sound. But I'm talking the pro-level models here, where the spec is pretty decent for studio use even with good gear.

Biggest thing I see with a lot of people who get BBEs is that they use way too much ; }

5. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I put a parametric eq in the rack with my F-1X...I leave it switched 'off'.

Kim

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    So it's just there to, ah, hold things down then? ; }

7. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yup.

Bought it because I was unsure about being able to get enough mids from the F-1X. As it turned out, I didn't have the 'problem' I had anticipated, so the parametric just sulks there, power light off, between the Alembic and my PLX.

Kim

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey rok51,

Well, at least your rack won't levitate right off the stage during the gig - you've got ballast to counteract the PLX ; }

9. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    +1

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Took the BBE out of the chain last night. Just couldn't make it work with the Alembic. For a $200 solid state head through a crapola cabinet, it might work a bit better...

Lonnybass