Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F-2B: bad tubes = bad tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, May 12, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I just popped in a set of new GT12AX7Ms in my Alembic pre and the tone is awful. Is this what people are raving about when they talk about these tubes?
    I did notice before installing them that the second tube had bent contacts, it looked like someone tried it and returned it to the store (very professional move by the salesperson :rolleyes: ) I put that one in channel two, and at first there was no sound at all, but channel one sounded fine, only the gain was extremely sensitive (very high output). I then removed the second tube (still channel two), straightened the prongs, and did a re-instal and voila, both channels were working at what seemed to be normal output, but the tone is horrible, mids are unnaturally boosted and the treble is clacky and virtually unuseable.

Can tubes do this? Or did I possibly inadvertently do some damage to the circuit board?

2. You just discovered the unfortunate fact that GT has people who shill for them to drum up business. A lot of the inital rave "reviews" were company press releases. In true internet fashion, lots of people jumped on the bandwagon and began to repeat that they were great, most having never played with them. Their "Mullard" copy is a POS. Get some decent tubes and your preamp should be fine.

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Man...if this is true, then my definition of good tone is at odds with a lot of folks in here. I still think it's a bad tube, but on the other hand, both channels sound the same and it's a dual channel pre. I'm going to have look for a schematic to find out for sure :meh: