Alembic F-2B through Acme Low B-2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm thinking of joining the Acme club, but since I've never owned a three-way cabinet before I thought I'd ask the Acme experts out there your thoughts on your setup.

Anyway, I've noticed from the Acme thread that in a lot of guys pics, they are using graphic EQs in their racks, which makes me suspect that you really need wide tone sculpting ability to make these cabs "speak" in a loud band situation. These are my questions:

1. Do these cabs sound better with selective EQing, and would an Alembic pre be a good or bad match up for these cabs?

2. What changes did you notice that you were making to your settings after getting the B-2?

3. Are the mid drivers capable of being heard properly?

4. Are these cabs really "scooped", or is the bass response just that much more powerful?

Power will not be an issue in my case (Crest ST1500, 750 watts @ 4ohms x 2). I'm looking at getting a pair of these. I'm looking forward to your replies so don't be shy, you crazy tone fanatic Acme using guys.

P.S. I'm also willing to attend the secret Acme meetings *gestures the secret Acme handshake*
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i wouldnt say scooped at all, but compared to other cabs, not as cutting. their neutral character isnt for everyone.

again, if you've been using an SWR, and switch to the Acme, you might feel very buried in a dense stage mix. but the converse is true too, cause whenever i try an SWR cab, they make my bass sound like i'm playing really thick guitar strings.

and EQ'ing a neutral cab like the Acme is quite nice, cause you're working with such a blanket canvas.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im not a current Acme user but Ive had a B2 and B4 in the past. I dont think the EQs are necessary for the cabs to speak. Actually lots of power is good for that. The cabs are pretty close to neutral so what you put in you generally get out but louder. Lots of EQ options make such a rig very versatile for getting lots of different tones.

I personally didnt think they were scooped at all when I was using them.

As far as the mid driver being heard, the beauty of these cabs is that its not easy to discern the signal in one driver or another. They blend very well giving smooth reproduction of your signal over the entire range of the bass. So I guess yeah the mid driver can be heard properly.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one cat i know used a sans amp BDDI as a preamp into his pair of acme 210 cabs. the SA can be pretty mid scooped itself, and he never had to do much EQing.

IME, if you need a mid boost with an alembic pre, try 3 or so on bass, 10 on mids, and 7 or higher on treble. that seems to give an apparent mid boost, particularly in the high mids.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are happy with the tone of your instrument, then all you need is a big amp, a neutral pre, and you are golden. I don't use any EQ on the head/rack side when I use my ACME's, but I do tweak the OBP-1 on my DeArmond to my liking. I can't wait to get my Skjold and Sadowsky in to try out with my ACME's (and other neutral cabs).

These cabs are not mid-scooped at all. Their mids and highs are excellent, and are very precise, but also smooth and natural. Their unexpected strong low end, though, can make the mids/highs sound less present, but really it's just a case of having lots of lows.

I was just trying out my new (to me) F-1X through a CA9 into two Low B-2's over lunch, and let me tell you this combo is to die for!

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like cookies and cream... :hyper:
  7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I just use a little extra EQ to tame some of the string squeak/squeal that my style seems to produce. I probably don't need the EQ, but it keeps me secure.

One of these days, when I get tired of my rack's weight, the EQ will be the first to go.

:bag: I have a theory that musicians with separate EQs in their racks are suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Works for me, and cheaper than Zoloft.
  8. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My rig is an Avalon U5 into a Stewart 1.6 into two B2s. I usually keep the Avalon's tone filter on setting #1 and tweak the tone with my SR5's onboard EQ. That usually gives me any and every tonal thing I need... and then some.
  9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ohhh man. After that I'm suffering from some serious GAStro-geartestinal syndrome. :hyper:
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooooo, very cool rig...

got pics? if so, add it to the "Acme Users Unite" thread... ;)
  11. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I'm there jokerjkny... :smug: #13!

Not the best or clearest photo, but I'm represent'n!!! :bassist: