Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F1-X gig report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, May 22, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I took the alembic on a gig for the first time last night, and I was a bit dissapointed. I've been using and Ampeg SVP-Pro for years, and with the alembic I really missed the mute switch, the graphic EQ for tweaking a second bass, and especially the mid frequency selector! In our rehersal space, which is a really good sounding room, the thing kills ... but out in the real world I really needed to bring down some low bass and add some 200hz ... out of luck!

The Alembic has incredible, and I mean incredible tone, but it is lacking in features. If I keep using it I'll need to add a parametric EQ to the rack for sure, and that still won't get me two sounds for two basses. :scowl:

Oh well, the gig went great, and the sound was good enough to have the whole place dancing ... I think I was the only one that was even the slightest bit bummed. I just know that it could have been a bit better with my Ampeg.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hear ya man. I LOVE the tone of that pre but it just doesn't cut it live. If you really like the sound enough get yourself a parametric eq for your rack and get a Radial Tonebone for getting different sounds for different basses. That'll solve your problem.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've been looking at the Radial's, and might pick one up. My Charvel is "active" in that it takes a battery, but has low output when compared to other active basses. And I plan on getting a MM or Spector next, both of which have the highest outputs on basses I've played, so it should come in handy.

Just a nice FYI, my Demeter last night, even playing just into the PA, SMOKED last night. What tone. Sucks about the Alembic, and glad I went with the Dem! I suggest checkin' one out!

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well of course no one can tell you what you like so i won't

anyhow, i find a lot of cats are dissapointed in the alembic live because they really havent gotten a feel for how to use the eq

it is passive interactive, and every time you turn a knob or flick a switch, it affects how the other controls work

FYI, "flat" on the alembic is 2-10-2 (dial positions, not clock positions) with the bright and deep switches off.

lots of cats try it at 5-5-5 which results in scooped mids and then you don't cut thru. worse is when you do that with the deep switch on, which cuts mids a bit more.

i found 4-9-5 with the bright switch on and deep switch off to cut thru almost any mix, 3-10-6 with the bright gives you even more mid cut. and of course there are a lot of other settings, even 10-10-10 deep off is a cool one. (not as mid scooped as you'd think, and with a ton of high mids)

i always found the eq to have very impressive range, you just have to get a feel for it, and the learning curve can be steep to those used to active eq sections that are flat in the 12 o'clock position.

5. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Pickles,
    Me thinks if we can get enough of us together and launce an attack on ampeg and force them to design the svp-pro to have a lower noise floor we may well have a winner in the market.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

You are ABSOLUTELY right, and thats exactly the problem. The EQ is interactive, and when it came time to adjust to the room ... I was lost. Its freakin confusing! I ran it 4.5,7,4 and it sounded *good* but a little shy one low mids with my cabs. I messed with the EQ a little bit, but nothing was better. Going to mids on 9 made it funky, dropping the bass made it thin. The thought of flipping the deep switch is frankly terrifying. I think I'll likely give it another chance ... I probably just need to spend more time with the interface.

The other band's bassist was *freaking out* about how good the rig sounded. I just wanted +2db @ 200 and I'd have been in hog heaven. Like I said, the dance floor was full :bassist:

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    IvanMike,
    That's some useful stuff. I'm going to try it on mine. Thanks.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Noise floor actually doesn't bother me that much. You've got to hear the tone on the F1-X to believe it!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I used an Alembic F2B for 20 years... the tone was fantastic. However I often wished it had more than just the one passive mid control for tricky rooms, or simply for variety's sake.

10. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Gigged out with my Alembic for the first time this weekend. This thread was a tremendous help. Sounded like thor's hammer.