Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F1X owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Mar 15, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I bought an Alembic F1X new, and I'm running it thru a Stewart World 2.1 and I can't get this thing to even sound close to sounding good.. I for one must be doing something wrong or the pre-amp sucks.. I have set this thing so many different ways and can't get a bottom out of it to save my life, no matter how I set it,it always sounds like to much treble and no bottom at all.. What am I missing here. I keep hearing about all this warm bottom and I can't find it... I running it w/2 berg cabs and the Stewart mono not bridged because of to much power.. I thought this would be the ultimate but it sucks ass..I really need some help ......Please anybody ... I'll even call you if you give me your # thru P.M.......desperatly seeking sound:bawl:

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't help you directly, but just wanted to say "hang in there", as I've just been through the same type of situation with a very expensive amp head myself - turns out the answer was pretty simple after all. I'm sure that someone will come along and help you find it.

Is your power amp being driven to anywhere near clipping? I'm not familiar with the Stewart 2.1, but I know that the extent to which the preamp signal effectively "drives" the power amp has much to do with the fattness of the sound....have you checked out all of those threads about some power amps needing special "input mods" to work effectively to their full potential in a bass rig? I'm guessing it's probably something along those lines. I got to play an F1X through an Eden WT1000 a while back, and it had loads of tone and bottom. Good luck.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I don't own a FX1 but I think they are bi ampable, right? Make sure you are coming out of the correct (full range) output from the preamp.

4. I owned an F1X and it has tons of bottom.

The comment above about coming out of the crossover port is VERY correct. Make sure you are using the full output, and not crossover Highs output.

I assume the speaker cabinet is previously tested with a different amp, and known to produce decent bottom?

If not, and this is an entirely new rig, there are endless possibilties of problems from miswired speaker phasing on up.

[ edit ]

Remember the F1x tone controls are CUT only. Flat is set at 0-10-0 on the B-M-T controls.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just ordered a new Alembic F-1X yesterday!:bawl:

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You say you're running your power amp in stereo mode? If this is correct make sure the bridge switch(I assume there is one on this amp) is set in the proper position and speaker connections correct. Your statement of "mono not bridged" is not very clear. Mono usually refers to running the amp in bridged mode. Are you running both speakers off one side of the amp? In this case the amp should be in stereo mode. Are you running one speaker on each side of the amp? This should also be in stereo mode. Again, make sure the bridge/stereo switch is in the right position and all speakers are connected accordingly top wheteher the amp is in mono(bridged) or stereo.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    basspro2,
    I'll 4th the comment concerning checking to make sure your output is coming out of the "Full Range" jack. Sometimes it's hard to get enough Mid boost out of the F1-X but never low end. I suppose that you could also have a bad unit.
    I use my F1-X with a Stewart 1.6 and that combination is a marrige made in heaven! It's got tons of highs and lows and thats with 1 or 2 Goliath Jr's. Using Bergs you should have a bad case of lock-jaw from grinning so big!:D

8. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I just e-mailed Gard I think this is Defective because at first he wasn't going to send it and then he decided to and when I got it it looked used or mounted in a rack.. I am running it Full out but the only way I get any bottom at all is if I actually turn the bass Knob all the way to 10 when you shouldn't have too.. My little Mesa Walkabout is kicking this things ass ..I'm using a shielded cable from full out to the back of the Stewart 1/4 to 1/4 there is also a 3 pin connector on it I wonder if I should use that ? Anyway It sounds like **** all treble and no bottom. I know it isn't my basses they are all new a Zon and a Modulus ,..Go figure..I don't Know..

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Didn't you say you bought this new? Mine is being sent directly from Alembic next week.

- What's a good amp to get? I'm going to be driving an Aguilar GS112 or two.

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Gard will fix you up! I ordered mine from Gard also and the first one that arrived was damaged (rack ear bent back about 30 degrees). OPS, I mean UPS, strikes again! He got another unit drop shipped from Alembic ASAP and all well that ends well!:) :cool:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Man, that stinks. I don't think that there's much inside an F1-X to go wrong...perhaps a tube. Did you move the tubes around a little (with the unit off of course) to see if there is some contamination in one of the sockets?

Is the tone thin with just one cabinet running? If not, it would be a phasing problem in either one of the cabinets or the cable.

A friend ran into this with his two Acme B2s and found one of the cables to be wired backwards.

For the heck of it, try using one of the cross over outputs... I don't know if the jacks are on a circuit board or not but perhaps they were installed in a different order...

12. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    JR
    I thought it was new but when i got it one of the ears was bent out of shape and it looked like it was mounted in a rack because the ears looked like screw marks on it..I didn't say anything because I thought it was in a rack at the store as a display..????????? Who Knew....

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    All of the suggestions above are good ones and need to be checked. There really is not much inside of an F-1X to go wrong. If it was supposedly "new" and had a bent rack ear...I'd send it back, pronto for a "new-in-box" unit. These things are awfully tough...to bend even the rack ear must have been quite a shot. Bottom line: you bought new...you deserve new, especially for the price of an Alembic. I love the tone of mine and I'll echo the others: lack of bottom is not an issue with an F-1X.
    Good luck.

Kim

14. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hi Kim,
    I don't know what I'm going to do now, I threw the box it came in away. I e-mailed Alembic to see if they can figure it out.. maybe I need to send it in for repair..What I did tho is ran it thru my Mesa and it sounded the same, so it not my power amp..
    Anybody running a Stewart/Alembic setup maybe I'm doing something wrong ie: hookup, settings or maybe I'm just a ..Dumbass .. Geddy plays with more bottom than I have. :bawl: But I really appreciate everyone who tried to help...... Thanks Guys and Girls

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Have you tried hooking another preamp up to the Stewart amp to see if the problem might be there as well? You could use your Mesa for this.

16. and never had a problem like you describe. Like some others have said. On the back, make sure you are coming out of the "FULL RANGE" 1/4 output and not the "HIGH PASS"or "LOW PASS. Set the tone comtrols to Bass 9:00 Mid 3:00 Treb 9:00. This is as close to flat response as I can tell. Start tweaking from here. If you can't get a good sound now then something is wrong with the unit and it should be returned. jmho

17. basspro2

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    O.K. Guys I went back downstairs again and started with a clear head, could it be possible I'm running my power amp to high and I need to use less power ? Maybe a 1/4 on the power or more ? I did this and started with a flat response like you said and started to tweak the B/M/T and it's starting to come together . Seems like very small increments change the sound rather quickly,and I turned down the poweramp to a little over a quarter and I think I'm getting it.. Maybe I ought to change my name to DUMBASS I just needed to clear my head of all the bad thoughts... Thanks, you guys are an awesome group!!!!!!! Someday I'll Get A Clue...:)

carsbybigd likes this.
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry, I've already got a lock on that one, and from the looks of things, there's a very long waiting list behind me. Hope you get it figured out.

steven conley likes this.
  19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Sounds like a phase cancellation problem - one of your speaker cables is likely wired in reverse if you're not getting any bottom.

I ran into this problem myself last year with my F-1x and pair of Acmes, a combination of gear that could ordinarily level small buildings. The guy who made my cables accidentily miswired one lead, and as a result, I was treated to the wimpiest bass ever. A careful diagnosis of my rack revealed the problem, which was easily solved by reversing the connection of one speaker's banana plugs on the power amp.

Two minutes later and I was back in the earth moving business.

So, before you go shipping the preamp back, check out the wiring on your speakers. And a big hello to BillyB from LZ...you knew I'd find this post eventually! :)

Lonnybass

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't see how that would have anything to do with it.