Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F1X & SF2 vs. Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I currently use the Alembic components (F1X and SF2) as my preamp. But I have to say that I am very intrigued by the Aguilar DB680. Maybe the number of Tubes has wowwed me, but the reviews seem rather potitive. Are there any users that can compare the two? What is the Ag sound in comparison? The Alembic is noted for it's simplicity and it is said to have a "by default" mid scoop. I can somewhat agree with that, although I don't have any problem gettting mids because of my bass (A Smith 6 with a mid control) and the SF2 in Band Pass give me all I could possibly want. So, hit me up with your opinions and rants.

Thanks!!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my DB680 pretty much makes me swoon everytime i plug into it... :D

seriously, considering the Alembic has the scooped mids, the Aguilar would prolly feel more "upfront" and "in-your-face" than the Alembic.

tonally, the 680 would prolly be more hifi with that muscled ampeg feel, rather than the creamy, bassman-like consistency of the Alembic. either one is a great sound, just depends on what you're after.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Alembic is perfectly capable of a flat response -just with the controls at 2-10-2. The "scooped mids" thing is a bit of a misconception because that's the case if you set the controls to 5-5-5 or something.

I've got an F-2B and I set it to pretty close to 2-10-2 and I've got more than enough mids.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Mids aren't really the issue. I mentioned the mids stuff because the moment I mention Alembic F1X, folks automatically think mids scoop. I'm aware that the best flat setting is 2 10 2 or somewhere's there abouts. But removing the mids scoop stuff, I'm really looking for a comparison of the two. I know that the Alembic stuff is top notch. The Ag stuff wasn't around when BP did their PreAmp Shoot out, so Alembic might not still get all 5's. What would the Ag get? Wished they'd do it again. I know BP can be subjective, but they have a pretty reputable standing with gear reviews, and they were RIGHT on target IMO with the last reviews they did in the pre-amp shoot out.