Alembic f1X tone primer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLaunder, May 6, 2012.

1. DLaunder

DLaunder

Sep 8, 2010
    NH
    Sorry if this is a duplicate topic. I realize this preamp has been around for a long while now, but I'm looking for tone suggestions for my Alembic F1X. I've looked on the Alembic forum and they suggest 2-9-2 (bass, mid, treble), but that isn't getting it done for me. currently I'm running 2-2-4 with both the bright and bass boost switches up and the volume 5 or above to drive the tube a little. This is OK, but I'm looking for other suggestions/experiences. This is my outdoor rig (running a Carvin HT750 into a 6x10. I'm kind of after an SVT tone, but suspect without a pedal I'm not going to get there because Alembic is not really driving that tube too much. what do you all think?

2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Its really hard or impossible to get the alembic tube to over drive.. I have the original Alembic F2B that i bought in the 70s.... which is a tru 2 channel stereo version of your f1x minus crossover and bass boost features and its ALL tube ( no IC as in the F1x )....
    Withe basses that i have Sadowsky, Alleva, Passive J and P basses and Music man basses. Have never been able to overdrive the tube in the preamp.. However, with the F2B version you can plug into channel A go out of channel A into input of Channel B then out of channel B into your power amp... That got some overdrive. But i never used it that way.. Rumor has it that David Gilmore from pink floyd did that a few times as well as many others..
    But You may want to try to get a Tech 21 VT bass pedal or other pedal and put it between your bass and input of your Alembic pre to gain it up a little

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. It looks like svtb15 has done a good job covering your question - but Alembic is located here in Santa Rosa, CA and my good friend Tony Stoufer hand builds the F-1X, F-2B, and SF-2, he’s not the designing engineer but if you’d like I could send him your question and see what if anything he has to add/say about this?

EDIT: If so, send me a message with a link to this thread (in case I miss your reply, if any). ;)

4. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    You're not likely to get anywhere near an SVT tone with your F-1X as it is based on the 60's Showman circuit which is a very different animal than the SVT circuit. However, you should be able to get a good sound out of it as it is one of the best preamps money can buy. For starters, I use mine with the midrange wide open all the time as the inherent EQ on the Alembic is a bit light on the midrange, IMHO. I usually run the bass control at 5 or 6 and the treble control at 2 or 3 depending on which bass and cabinet I use with it. Also, I never engage the deep or bright switches as the deep switch attenuates the midrange even more and the treble control can make it WAY brighter than you should ever need.

Lonnybass likes this.
  5. DLaunder - I got your message, check your box, Tony replied. I hope it helps you. Have a good week.

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Could you share the gist of the PM? I'd like to know what the builder says. I was going to say shut off the bass boost switch. I think that gets rid of a lot of the mids, doesn't it?

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I loved my F1-X, but as was said earlier, it has a whole Fender feel going on. I found the SVP-CL preamp (with a QSC PLX 2402) to get a lot of SVT tones, without having to cart an 80 lb box of tubes and transformers around to gigs. The SVPs are long discontinued, but still seem to pop up if you watch Ebay and TB. Here's a Basstasters link for the CL:http://basstasters.com/preamps/Ampeg_SVP-CL.html (I think they tend to go way too light on the dirty sound, though).

8. The F-1X wont overdrive like an SVT will , it has tube warmth but just wont get that sound. The F-2B is stereo so you can run out of CH. A into CH. B and get a similar tube overdrive sound as the SVT , the controls are very sensitive and it may take a little adjustment in the CH. A settings to get something close - but the F-1X alone will not do that - it is a Fender circuit and he suggested the OP try a tube screamer or something with a 12ax7.

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Ah, thanks for that bit of info. That works for me. I have an old Tube Driver pedal, with a 12ax7 tube, that would serve me in the overdrive department, should the need arise.

10. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Nah, you won't get an SVT tone from an F-1X; you'll need a pedal to simulate that.

But, just as a reference point, according to the Duncan Tone Stack Calculator, the most "flat" setting for an Alembic F-1X is:

Bass - 0.3
    Middle - 5.5
    Treble - 0.0

Alembic-TSC.jpg

Also remember that the tone controls on that F-1X are quite interactive; that is, making a change to one alters the others.

There's lots of good info in these threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fender-alembic-bbe-tone-stack-explained-491699/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/alembic-f-1x-megathread-265020/

~esa

11. You're welcome. :)

12. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    No, you're not going to get the Ampeg tone of out this. I've owned one for almost 20 years so I've played with the controls quite a bit. The settings I've like are both deep and bright switches down, bass around 6, mid (which is cut only) at 10 but sometimes I'll back it down to 8, and the treble around 6. Hope this helps.

13. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I just noticed mine
    6 - 6 - 6

\m/

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Lol ^

Like a old Fender. We laughed all the time about that. In studio with bassman or Twin verb.

All else failed set it to 6 6 6 and be done with it

grinx likes this.
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have an F1-X and an F2-B. I usually run the tone controls 2/10/2 with the bright/deep switches off. I love the tone I get with my basses WITH GREAT SOUNDING OLD 12AX7/ECC83/7025 tubes made in the USA/Great Britain/Germany.

No. It does not sound like an SVT. It is clean and warm with a sweetness to the tone that is fantastic.

grinx and quickervicar like this.
  16. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have a F2B that i bought new in 1977 from Manny's Music on 48th st NYC> Chris Squire from YES was in front of me online getting an air conditioner size box of ROtosounds. HA.

I just Recapped that F2B.. It was getting noisy.. Now it's as good as NEW. sounds FAST and tight with great tight LOws , mids and open top end.
    Depending on the CAB that i use i will vary my EQ>,, If it use a Full Range Monitor i run the Bright OFF.
    On a No tweet cab i run Bright ON and tone controls about 5-7-6 give or take.
    Remember that HIgher you run the VOLUME COntrol the less effect the BRIGHT switch has.. Example. If you have your VOL control set high at perhaps 7 or 8, teh bright switch will have basically no effect.. But the Treble knob still does its thing ..

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You know what 668 is?
    The Beast’s next door neighbor. :)

grinx likes this.
  18. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Y'all know this thread is 6 years old?

Anyway, I found this (from Alembic), regarding EQ and frequency:

15770.jpg

grinx likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021