1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic F2-b madness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laklandfan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Up until a few years ago I was using an Alembic F2-B preamp and I liked the sound (I know it's a fender stock stack) but always felt the output was lacking considering the rest of my chain (I like and sometimes do need volume). I swapped it for a Jule Monique and I immediately had way more output and it sounds good, but different. I did some reading and apparently it's a known thing that the Alembic doesn't drive a QSC power amp to full volume like it would with a Crest or maybe a Peavey preamp because of sensitivity.

Lately I've been missing my Alembic; if I was to put it back in what can I do to get some db back? I know the QSC can be modified to have the .775v input sensitivity but from what I gather that risks introducing noise into the signal. I'd have one free rack space for something in between Alembic and QSC. I have a rack tuner that has a buffered output, would that be enough?
    I'm not an EE by any stretch so I don't want to spend a lot money on things that won't get me what I want, because I don't understand the technical side of what's going on.

svtb15 likes this.
  2. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    A rack mount graphic eq usually has a gain slider or two which should be sufficient. Plus, it would be useful for dialing out problem frequencies in certain rooms. Pre -> eq -> power amp

Laklandfan likes this.
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I like the EQ idea. The Mesa Bass 400/400+ is basically an F2B tone stack-> GEQ -> Power amp.

Laklandfan likes this.