1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic F2B ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i've never had the chance to use this pre-amp can anyone desribe how it sounds and other general opinions are welcome :)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    from most accounts, seems like just a two channel version of the venerated F-1X, which i love to death.

rich, glossy, tubey fender bassman fatness. when i think of a tubey preamp, the alembic sound immediately comes to mind as my mental benchmark.

course, owning a kern IP777 is like having three alembics running in parallel. :p

but this sounds mad fun:

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used the first version of this preamp when it came out in the 70s as part of a high powered rack rig for touring. I was driving two BGW power amps into 3 custom made JBL equipped cabinets.

I liked it and it was very reliable. I used it in the stereo mode but did fool with the cascade mono option. I liked the clean sound best in stereo.

The controls were passive and modelled after a Fender circuit like a Showman. Not much variation in sound available. You needed a good sounding bass to get the best out of it if the bass was passive. I used a Fender P and a J for a backup. Both sounded very good through the rig. The preamp pretty much gave you what you put into it.

In stereo mode I had to crank the output of the preamp pretty high because the BGW amps seemed to be a little less sensitive than some other amps, but despite this I had no problems with noise. The only noise I got was the typical pickup and bass noise from the J in particular.

I don't know how you plan to use it, but if you can get one at a good price it's worth it as a basic, no frills preamp. Because of its minimal tone controls you won't get any exciting sounds from it-just a nice clean sound with a hint of tube to it.

Steve's Music in Toronto always seemed to have one in stock so you could try one out there if they still do.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

What the other guys said. I used one for the better part of 20 years. Amazing device. The only reason I no longer have it is because I moved up to a higher priced preamp with fancier EQ (Read Purity).

5. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    hey, thanks for the replies, i'd be using it with my yorkville y1200 power amp (1200 watts) into a yorkville8x8 and or a bad end 15 inch, of course played through my only bass right now, a warwick 5 string thumb b/o. currently im using a pearce bc-1 i find it to lack a little low end and also to be a tad "midrange'y". i'm also considering the markbass little mark 2, , less power but i dont reallyneed as much as i have anyway and i could always hold onto the power amp and buy another pre amp another time.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Alembic preamp should work really well with the Yorkville power amp. That'll be a nice combination and you should have plenty of power. The Yorkville warranty is a nice bonus too and if you ever need repairs it's not far to the factory.

The Alembic is pretty simple and shouldn't ever need much work except for a tube change after many years.

7. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Sounds exactly like any old (Black face) Fender twin or Dual Showman amp.