Alembic for $1300 on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hmm wasnt a rack mounted unit needed to use those basses???
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    interesting site, cool concept.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes, the DS5. The early ones come in a small case and the later one in a 1RU chassis. Nothing much really in them. Gotta make sure one of these besses comes with the PS as they can be expensive from Alembic, unless you're technical and can make one yourself.
    I'd also be concerned by the 'untested' nature on the bass. If the electroncs are dodgy, they're very expensive to service or replace through Alembic.
  5. "Bass was used as evidence in a murder trial..."
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic keeps a fairly well updated list of instruments reported stolen. There are 2 1977 basses on the list. One has a picture and is obviously not this one. The other is s/n 77 848, no picture or description.

Stolen Alembics

I'd also want to have a look at the innards before buying as is. Since the control plate is off the back, that should be pretty easy to do, eh? You'd wanna make certain the pots are Alembic and that the printed circuit board is in place. Replacing those well cost more than the bass is currently selling for. If you need to obtain a DS-5 power supply and cable, count on a couple hundred bucks. Of course, those of us who already have a bass or two that use them....... :bag:

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    :meh: could have bad karma.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I don't think 'I could buy anything from the police just for moral reasons. It's like buying foreclosed stuff to me. Who knows for real why it was taken away from someone. Like some guy loses his job and can't cover the mortage. It's gets seized, someone buys it cheap and the state makes money. You just can't tell for sure why the state has it. just my 2 cents. nice bass though.
  9. As it's an Alembic, I wouldn't be amazed if that were the case.

10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard that ! :D
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    About two weeks ago they had a Rickenbacker Chris Squire model go pretty cheaply.
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Further down.... Jazz Bass, $60.
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a friend who bought a 62 Jazz (stacked knobs and everything!) off a police auction in the 70's. He paid like 75 bucks it had been refinnished with a flame on the back but basic white on the front. Sounded great! If you think about it Series I basses sell for between 4 and 6 grand used, if the body in good shape and you had to dump two grand into electronics work it would still be a good deal! Not that I'm personally an Alembic fan but if the body is as good as they say and it's not stolen I certantly don't see anything wrong with the purchase.