alembic for guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 7, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i always knew that the alembic f2-b and f1-x were based on the fender showman circut but i never did any serious experientation
    last week i plugged my pal's telecaster into my alembic f1-x and ran it thru my stewart 2.1 into my bag end 12
    holy crap! talk about THE clean guitar tone!
    thing takes overdrives and fuzzes pretty darn well too
    almost makes me wanna buy a strat and some tube power amp with a couple of 6L6s and go do some 6 string moonlighting
    of course, there's so much more work for a bass player than there ever will be for one of those wimpy guitar players...........
  2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That's really cool to hear. I love hearing from people who break the rules and mix up gear like this. I think one of the coolest tones I have ever had as a bass player was using an old Acoustic amp, don't know the model, but I am positive it was a guitar head. I say this as it had both a fuzz circuit as well as tremolo. I ran it into Acoustic Bass Cabinets, a 2x15 and what I beilieve was a 1x18, but it may have been a 15 inside, I don't really know. It was a closed enclosure with only one large vent at the bottom, no speaker was actually visible, but it was definitely a subwoofer cabinet. I never used the tremolo, but the fuzz tone was out of this world, and the tone of the rig itself was incredible. It was huge as all hell, I only ever took it out the rehersal space once for a gig. It was just too big for me to lug around on a regular basis, so I sold it off, something I regret still, 12 years later.

If anybody knows what this amp was, I'd love to know. I'd love to check it out again, only this time with smaller cabinets.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Have a look through the pics here:

I suspect it might be a 260 guitar head. I bet a lot of the cool sound you were getting was from those big old cabs, they're so efficient with massive low midrange. Jaco used an Acoustic 360 bass preamp into a 361 powered 200W 18" folded horn cab so you're in good company!