Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic FX-1 or SWR Interstellar overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Here's my problem, I can't try out any of these in winnipeg without ordering them, which basically means i would have to buy them. I am looking for a fat, versatile tone, close to something around McCartney, John Paul Jones to slap and pop (clarke, graham, flea). Also, how good is the Overdrive on the SWR?

2. I have the F-1x and it will get the tone you want. I used to have the SWR Grand Prix and I didnt like it too much.

3. PhatBoi, how would you describe the difference between the Alembic and your old Grand Prix?

4. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    The interstellar overdrive is nice, but it is not the Alembic F1-x...nothing near the f1-x in my opinion.
    cam

5. I would say the Alembic is a more warmer, thicker tone. Id say the Swr doesnt have the "life" the Alembic has acroos the whole range low and High. Alembic has more qualities you may tend to associate with tube amps. But these are all just one mans opinion. And that is all it is worth

6. John Paul Jones uses the SWR IOD. The FX-1 doesn't have an overdrive feature.
    Insofar as overdrives go... the SWR IOD is tops, bar none.

However, SWR customer service is horrible.
    Go with the FX-1.

7. the alembic preamps are super warm and fat sounding for the price. i've heard people compare them to aguilar preamps, but i wouldn't know since i've never tried an aguilar. the swr stuff is definately more hi-fi sounding. the alembic pre is fat and tubey...

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    F1-X. I bought the SWR, but if I was buying a preamp for pure tone...it's the F1-X all the way.

9. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    I have an Aguilar 359 amp and also use another set up with Alembic FX1 with SF2 super filter in the effect loop and a power amp.
    The Aguilar is used mostly for small/medium sized clubs. The Alembic set up is used for larger venues. I am very happy with both. The Alembic set up has been a part of my equipment for 8 years and survived any comparison to anything I have used. Cabs are Eden 2X10 XLT and 4X10 XLT.
    I am able to dial in the tone I like on both systems. They give me a nice clear warm tone and mid punch.

I also have a SWR Read head. I don’t use it much but putting the Alembic SF2 super filter in the effects loop also provides significantly better bottom and mids.

10. What does the SF2 super filter actually do? I got nothing about it from the Alembic web site.

Can you describe what it is, and how it works?

11. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    Hi bgavin

The FS2 does what a parametric EQ would do plus some more. It has two channels that can be run in stereo (two separate) or mono (line)
    Each channel has a frequency selector a volume volume and a bandwidth. It is much more than just another parametric EQ. You can find info on http://www.alembic.com/prod/sf2.html.
    It has been a most useful tool for me.