1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic FX-1 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I recently purchased a used FX 1. When I turn it on connected to a power amp and cab I hear some hissing. I’m thinking it might need a tube replacement?
    Any suggestions on a good tube to install?
    Thank you

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    How do you have the controls set? Vol,Gain Eq ect.?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The reason I asked is because having the gain set too high can amplify noise sometimes heard as hiss also if you have your highs turned up too far that can have the same effect. Two simple things to look at . It could be a noisy tube they are not all that expensive and having a spare will never hurt if it ends up not being a noisy tube.

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Plus, the Fender tone stack might have you cranking the highs without realizing it

5. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Try this. Set the bass to 10:00 the Mid-range to 3:00 and the treb to 10:00 ( this is to represent time on an analog clock). Make sure the bright and deep switches are off. Things should sound pretty flat without much if any hiss.

6. IIRC the FX1 is essentially the normal channel from a Fender amplifier.

murphy and GBassNorth like this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    2-10-2 should be nominally flat response (with the Deep and Bright switches off/down).

chaosMK, murphy and Chuck M like this.
  8. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I forgot that it had numbers as I sold mine about 10 years ago. A lot of people try setting the tone controls all on 5 thinking that is flat. Not the most user friendly tone stack but, it sure sound good when you get it dialed in.

murphy likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I had two F-1X preamps back in the late '90s/early '00s. Great sounding, wish I still had them both.

murphy likes this.
  10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    And I wish I could still hear hiss!

Do try setting the controls at 2....10.....2 and see how it sounds and if the hiss is gone. I have both an F-1X and an F-2B and they sound great to my old hearing damaged ears. Apparently they sound great to folks with good hearing because I get compliments on the way they sound.

For what it is worth, I favor old tubes over the current stuff. My F-1X has an old Telefunken smooth plate ECC83 (European designation for a 12AX7) in it. The F-2B has an old made in England Mullard in channel 1 and an RCA 7025 in channel 2.

Some of the current tubes sound nice. Most sound edgy and harsh to me. The older tubes sound more musical to me although each has its own sound qualities.

murphy likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    How can you tell with your hearing damaged ears?

12. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hearing aids.

Ampslut likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    What? ;)

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I will have to pull my F1x recently acquired and see what tube is in there...but there was a discussion about the F1X saying the tube is not driving the circuit as the F2b....so will different tubes change the sound, as it does in the F2b?

15. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The circuits are identical except the F-1X has a crossover added to it. The tube will certainly effect the tone.

The Eden heads that were popular in the past used the tube as sort of an input buffer IIRC and the tube had little effect on the tone of those designs.

I also have a Demeter VTBP-201S and the tubes have much to do with the tone.

By the way, the metal shield around the tube in the Alembic preamps collapses down toward the base of the tube to allow you to grasp the tube.

57pbass likes this.
  16. Me too! :crying: