Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alembic fx 1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, May 8, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Just found a used fx 1 in great condition for 195. Think I will be trading in my mxr 80 and getting this baby. I have heard only good things about the alembic tube pre's and I think this is a pretty good price. Does anyone agree this is a good price? I think new ones are around 800.

2. Moved to amps

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Awesome price. Best tube preamp there is! Congratulations.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that is an amazing price for an amazing bit of gear. Buy it, and if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it on easily for at least $300

5. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Great, I am picking it up tomorrow. I can't think of any reason to keep my MXR bass Di, you?

6. :D

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the Alembic has the old Fender Bassman type tone circuit - passive tone filters, as opposed to the more usual eq circuits found on amps.

It's not the most intuitive of tone controls, 2-10-2 on bass/mid/treble is flat eq. Bass/Treble as boost only, Mid is cut only. It can take a while to get used to, as boosting one can result in another getting cut.

Until you get used to it, it may be worth keeping the MXR if you're wanting to do any EQ'ing until you're familiar with the Alembic tone controls.

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I set mine at 3-8-3 and really like the tone. Do a search, lots of discussion on these around here. BTW, if you do a search, you'll find more under F1-X.;)

9. My fav setting is bass 9:00, mid 3:00 treb off and bright switch on. Go figure.

10. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I picked it up 2 hours ago and I am heading to practice with a big friggin grin on my face. HOLY HELL, this thing has headroom that does not end!!!
    I ended up paying 140 with trading in my MXR 80:)
    Sounds deep, real deep and keeps the highs under control (clear and punchy) on my bass which is kinda trebly.
    I have not figured out my exact settings for my finger funk style. I am sure it will take time. Will post again after the gig.