Alembic Gives Away a Bass for Free!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Oct 25, 2004.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic recently surprised one of their best customers by giving him a bass for free! Here's a picture of the lucky recipient.

I beg the indulgence of Alembic president Mica Wickersham, who delivered the bass and took this picture. The bass was given to Stanley (like you didn't know who that was) backstage at one of his recent concerts. It was Alembic's way of saying "thanks" to a loyal customer of 30 plus years. Believe it or not, until this bass, Stanley bought every Alembic he ever owned.

Here's a close up of the body....

Link to Mica's account of the event

2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    geez and i thought there was a contest i missed signing up for! :D that truly is a very pretty bass. i love alembics!
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Mighty nice... the bass, the gesture from Alembic, the look on Stanley's face... all mighty nice. :)

I'm not going to BEGIN to ask what all those rotary switches do, though! :D
  4. Eh, I cannot get into the Alembic thing. I think they are fugly. If you think they're beautiful, its fine with me. :)
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm now into the "alembic thing" like coming full circle after 25 years of playing everything else.

From my experiences ALL the cats with reall class pay for their high end gear. I think it's a repsect thing and that was a wonderful gestures on Mica's part.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    looks like burled coco bolo ?
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Alembics are the first basses I ever drooled over. 21 years later, still drooling! :p

Stanley's new acquisition is reason 'nuff, I think. :D
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You'd think with the prices Alembic charge, they could afford to give away a free Sadowsky with every bass :D

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was nice of Alembic to give Stanley Clarke a bass because he surely put them on the map for most bassists. It's good to see that even a legend like Stanley can be touched by the gesture of a gift that he could very easily afford if he wanted to buy one. The controls look a bit too complicated for me, but that is a beautiful bass.
  10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I had one for a while. Good riddance...

11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The cynical view of this might be that they're just looking for more promo from their most celebrated endorser. Certainly, Stanley Clarke's use of Alembics has to be a prime factor in Alembic's popularity and ranking in the high-end. Granted, they're well-made and they do sound good. I've owned two but I found them way too heavy and not very gig-friendly and subsequently unloaded 'em. For me, Alembic's customer service sucked, too. The basses were great in the studio, however. And none can deny Ron Wickersham's innovative creations, especially early on in the seventies.

Still...this is sorta like Nike giving Michael Jordan free stuff. Who stands to gain the most? :eyebrow:
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think it's great, but WHAT THE HELL TOOK SO LONG!!!!!!!!!! I do have one question though: Why is it, that when someone posts about certain high end basses, we feel the need to mention how much we hate them, instead of just not participating in the thread? :confused:
  13. That's only half the picture! I am on the left receiving that bass from Mr. Clarke.

I'd like to take this moment to thank Mr. Wickersham, Mr. Turner, Mr. Clarke, my agent, my manager, my two wonderful sons, and all the little people that made this moment possible.

Thank you. :crying: (...snifff....)

14. You have to put this in the context of Alembic being a company that doesn't do any sponsorships or do much advertising at all (if any outside of namm). Remember, this is the only bass they're ever given away. They could become a much bigger company if they wanted to, but haven't because quality is more important.
  15. that has to be one of the best looking alembics ever....#takes another look at the mark king alembic bass pron on my pc#.....may i reinforce ONE OF :D
  16. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Good question Woodchuck. When I bought both my Warwick Thumb and my Spector Euro I would come into the forum to find threads about them and kind of bask in glory of my new bass. Inevitably someone would post how another bass was better for the money, better quality, better sound. Whatever, you get the point. Why we do it? I have no idea, but if you just spent alot of money on a bass, dont come to this forum for a while. You will get buyers remorse very quickly.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Because an open forum offers the opportunity for ALL opinions to be shared, not just the ones you agree with or the positive, "warm and fuzzy" ones. Hope you don't mind. ;)
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Haters in the house!"
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a lot of knobs.

I never found Alembics particularly attractive though.
  20. Bohumil Prst

Bohumil Prst

Oct 18, 2004
    I played an Alembic 5-string fretless over the weekend and I have to say it was fantastic. You would really have to hate the looks not to want one because they play beautifully.