Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic guys or anyone really, I need some advice please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have always been fascinated with alembics. I am a huge fender Jazz bass fan and just about compare everything thing to that. But right now I have a R bass 5 5piece neck through and a fender Jazz that I play. Well I am thinking of getting a Stanley Brown Bass, and a nice Orion 5. What do you guys think? Am I going down in quality and bass from my R bass 5 to the Orion 5? I know the Brown Bass is in a class of its own but I do not want to drop that quality and sound I have in my R bass 5 for the Orion. I have an eden WT-400 and a Bag End s-15D and S-15XD that I will be playing them through. I am in music school and play in a oldies wedding band that plays it all, and a Funk R and B band.

2. Hi.

Alembic Orion has a set-in neck. The pickups and preamp are alembic. If you order a new one, you can determine everything (scale length, neck width, string spacing...). Mine is very versatile (jazz, funk, rock). This kind of bass sound good through everything you plug it into.

Hope this helps.

Jure

3. The string spacing on the Alembic is a little bit tighter (closer) than on the R Bass. It may not make a difference for you. I think the spacing is something like a 17 mm at least on my Epic 5. It's pretty close to the American Fender Jazz 5.

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Come one Alembic guys, help me out.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    If you do go Alembic go used. These things last forever and their resale isn't so good so you can get a great deal on an awesome bass.