Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ALEMBIC!!! I got G.A.S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkster, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I must say that I never had GAS like I have now! Farting every two minuets:D
    A friend of mine at work just bought a early 80's Alembic Spoiler and I played it and fell in love.
    What a sweet bass with a wide range of tones, great neck awesome feel.
    It wasn't the explorer Spoiler it was shaped more like a Series 1.
    I made the mistake of seeing this series 1 and like it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody have one of these and can tell me a little bit about it? Electronics, Neck shape etc. are they worth the price they get? I'll probably look for a used one.
    Any info would be appreciated.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I dug that top, too. But, I didn't dig the $8000 price tag.

3. FWIW, Alembic has changed its neck shape several times over the years. I can't remember if they're thin now or if they've gone back to fat oval profiles.

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

Funkster,
    it's been 3 years since I stay very well with a 4 string,a 5 and a fretless5,but if someday I should buy another bass I would go with something like that alembic!
    I've tryed few ones(a couple of Stanley,and a Mark King),but they really impressed me:first of all the neck shape is amazingly narrow,it seems a toy;then the great tone flexibility,but still great personality!....you know that mid-rangy snap....
    No doubts,
    Alembics Series 1,2 and Signatures are wonderfull,state of the Art,very personal basses!
    Go with one of them and you'll be very happy!
    I suggest to take a look at Bassnorthwest web site for an used one.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

No knocking them, but I dont like the looks.
    It reminds of a stingray...not the bass but the fish!!

But its the sound and playability that counts. I do have to say I like the top on it.

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Funk,

I've owned Alembics for about 6 years now and swear by them. My current bass is a Europa 5 string. IMO, there is no cooler body style.

However, if I was your situation, and I was perfectly happy with a 4 string, I'd go for a used Series I. The tonal options are endless and you can easily find the scale that suits you the best. Additionally, since Alembics have notoriously low resale values from new, used is the best value. They come up regularly on eBay and at Bass Northwest and usually sell for around 2000 - 2500.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Holy Crap!!! Sweet Bass Though!

AB that's exactly what I'm going to do look for a long scale Series 1 used, Thanks for all your input!

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well that looks very comfortable to play when sitting :rolleyes:

But, boy, I bet that has some kickin' tone and great feel to it. I kinda like the look. :)

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got an ebony top Persuader and a bubinga Distillate, both 4 string. I really like them. I'm sure the Series I, II, or signature models could only be better still...

They are really nice basses. The necks are straight and narrow, pretty fun to play. You've got to watch for neck-dive on some, but they are quality machines! I always dreamed of having one, and though I don't own a top-of-the-line model, I enjoy the ones I do have.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Everybody who thought I'd eventually show up to this thread raise your hand.....(loses count amidst all the hairy arm pits)

Hey Funkster,

Camp out on eBay for a while, you'll definitely find something worth latching on to. You can get an excellent late 70's to early 90's Series I for about $2,200 - 3,000. If you check www.gguitars.com, they have a really sweet used 5 string Series II.

I might also suggest that you join the Alembic Club. http://alembic.com/cgi-bin/alembic-club/discus.cgi Mica Wickersham does an excellent job communicating with people who are having custom instruments built. Just parsing through the dialog you'll gain a lot of knowledge.

I have a 4 string & a 5 string. Both necks are comparatively narrow compared with other 4 & 5 string basses. They are both radiused, not flattened at all, like my Hanewinckel.

The electronics are hard to describe. You really have to play one and toy around with it. Email me and I can put you in touch with a guy who does a much better job of describing the electronics than I could ever do.

Oh....umm, just in case your GAS is subsiding.....
    [​IMG]

Peace,

James

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez...I'd hate to see the insurance premiums on those babies!:eek:

Actually, I've always been a fan of Alembics...it's the first bass I ever had GAS for: a cocobolo-top Series II 4-string.

At current prices, I'm not too sure it'll happen any time soon, but...

13. I will help you with your gas :D
    My signature Alembics :

[​IMG]

I've played them for more than 12 years now, it it is really the end, what more do I need ? You tell me ...

Peace
    Bassmanjr

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Me either!!!:eek:

You guy's are killing me:D

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just tell her you want to build an addition and that it will be made of cocobolo and mahogany ;)

Peace,

James

16. It would be pimp to have a room paneled in cocobolo.