Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Jazz basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I remember seeng two alembic jazz basses posted here a while ago.. Does anyone still have that picture? They were suhweet.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. Nice...The Alembic tailpiece does look a little out of place on a Jazz body, though.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  5. flak44

flak44

Nov 4, 2004
    Kent, UK
    hey mdrdvp where you from cause that shop is just down my road from where i live?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Uhhhhh, why was I not informed of this???!!! That is one of the nicest looking jazz style basses I've ever seen!! Had no idea Alembic did 'jazzes'! Well, besides the Rogues and Orions which are 'jazz-like' in essence.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hey! I posted pics of those last year.:p:)

8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Holy cow, that 5'er is so awesome looking. I would totally love to own one of those. Wow !!

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I don't like those too much, specially cause they're neck through. However, I do like this one quite a bit because it is bolt-on with an ash body and thus a little more jazz.

I would really like it if they had put a regular bridge on it.

check it out at the featured customs gallery:

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_emw.html

10. Certainly not bolt-on, Alembic doesn't do that, even if you're willing to pay big $$$$. It's 'East Meets West' a set-neck custom Orion with a unique electronics configuration, now called the 'EMW-electronics'.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mule,

You obviously know way more about it than I, I stand corrected that the EMW bass is a set-neck. I was fooled by the truss rod cover. I didn't know that they flat out won't do a bolt on (I've never seen one, for certain.)

Will

12. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I bought the East Meets West pictured above a little over a year ago. It is a set neck. It definately cops a 70's jazz vibe. I've never once looked at it and said, "gee, I wish that two piece Alembic bridge wasn't on there." The bridge is part of the Alembic sound IMO. This bass is very light at just over 7 lbs. As with any Alembic, everything was very well thought out to produce a light but powerful sounding bass with minimal fuss (for Alembic anyway). My only complaint is that the neck moves around almost daily, depending on the weather...backbow one day, upbow the next...I don't keep the dual trussrod cover on anymore given I have to adjust it so often...it is extremely easy to adjust though with the included box wrench.

Spend a little time on the Alembic site, they have some neat stories to tell. Given that almost everything they make is custom, I'm sure they could make you most any kind of bass you wanted. I had never seen their jazz bodies before, but I'm not surprised. Their electronics are magical...these are by far the best sounding pickups, preamp I've ever encountered...and the filter with Q switch is very cool too.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Larz,

Really cool you have that bass. I really do like it. Weird that the neck is so finicky though -- I can't remember the last time I took a wrench to the truss rod on my Essence. I would agree that the bridge is a big part of the sound. However, I don't dig the way that it makes the pickups/playing area sit so far into the body. It makes me feel like I'm playing a extra long scale bass when I'm not.

The Autumn's Delight (or something) bass is my favorite featured custom. Just perfect.

Will

14. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    You might be interested to know that Alembic is currently building a Thunderbird inspired bass for a customer.

Then, of course, there is the Explorer inspired Alembic Exploiters which in their extreme form became the John Entwistle Spyder.
    http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_spyders.html

The sound of all these instruments is pure Alembic and has very little to do with the design inspiritions.

15. well now by jazz you mean....cuz newsted had an alembic...cant remember wut kind....maybe orion that had jazz pickups....by far one of the simplest controls ive ever seen on an alembic...

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree... increases the length of the body and makes it look like it's wearing a soggy diaper... :p

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    That a sweet bass... :eek:

18. Slight variation on a theme...

[​IMG]

@ Will: I didn't mean to sound rude, it certainly wasn't my intend, sorry for that. Alembic is very strict in this 'no bolt-on' rule, because they don't like the possibility of someone swapping necks and I have heard they don't like the sound characteristics also. But never say never, certainly when there's a LOT of money involved, principles might stagger... ;)

19. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Alembic have built about a dozen instruments for Jason Newsted.