1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic Lot - anybody got a spare 23 Grand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silvertone, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The seller has a feedback score of 666.

wmmj, farshore and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. Cool, very smart dude - three of them are medium scale.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  3. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Discussion on the Alembic club with a little insight about the seller: Alembic Club: Instant Collection?

If someone gets one of these (for a reasonable price, asking price is about $10K above market value for the lot), make sure it comes with the original electronics. The seller also makes his own version of the Series preamp cards, most likely reverse engineered from these basses.

UpperBout likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Whoa... yeah, anyone even vaguely considering this deal (sic) should read that thread.

I found this comment intriguing: "That's: Two $3500 basses, one $4500 and one $1500 bass for only $23000 :)"

Are >20 year old Series basses really going for <$5k on the used market? I may need to rethink whether I'll really never own one of those puppies! That 32" Series II with the Omega Cut is just what the doctor ordered!

...just not from this seller, obviously.

5. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Yep, if you have a budget of about $4000 you won't have a problem finding a Series Bass.
    I got my almost mint condition '79 bass for a little under that last year, it had a problem with the pickups but got the replacements free of charge. (Under warranty for a '79 bass!)
    Really nice ones may go for more and post '98 Series basses have the high frequency noise cancelation circuit which is a big plus, but between $3000 and $5000 you must be able to find a nice one :)

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I got a 1981 series I short scale bass for under $3000 in November last year so they are around. As far as I know it does not have the mod for the HF noise cancellation but it still is a quiet bass.
    I don't know much about the seller but if the buyer has any doubts about him/her then seeing and hearing the bass before you risk your cash would be the safest route to take.
    Buyer beware.

FC Bass likes this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Yonkers is the last place I would suspect am Alembic hoarder would reside...

Bob_Ross likes this.
  8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    Maybe not, there was a shop in Norwalk Ct that closed a few years back that had a stock of alembics that sat unsold for 10-15 years or better. They had to wind up somewhere. Wonder if that's where these came from.

9. FC Bass

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    The Series II was previously owned by a member from the Alembic club (see link above) Apparently the seller wants $7800 for it... (previous owner sold it for $5500)