Alembic MK SIG - Direwolf

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JackPlug, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JackPlug

JackPlug

Jan 3, 2016
    Hey guys,

It's always a nervous wait when you're waiting for a bass to be delivered but hey, look what arrived in one piece. Apparently there are zero recordings of this bass...interesting.

Any thoughts? :)

Any particular suggestions on some tunes? I'm always up for learning new stuff

Hope you like it!

Thanks
    George

www.georgepricebass.com dscf9553.jpg DSCF9554.jpg.jpeg IMG_2446.JPG

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Congrats on your new Alembic. I have a 2000 MK Sig Std with the original body shape (small bouts and pointy end) and 32" scale.
    Back then they weren't doing the omega cut - I could've gone for that as well as the extended upper bout.

Great bass indeed, and the electronics are exceptional. You will enjoy this one.

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    wow
    congrats

old spice likes this.
  4. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Nice George!

You are a fine player, and you asked for it...
    How about your version of Corea's '500 Miles High'?

Show us what you can do with that Alembic!

Qlanq likes this.
  5. An Alembic in their 'Planet Killer' recipe (cocobolo top/back with an ebony stringer) is a massive, massive sounding instrument that will cut through anything short of 6' reinforced concrete. Sustain for days. IF this is your first Alembic, I suggest trying it out in short duration segments at first, to allow your brain to process what you're about to hear, provided you have exceptional amps: You're going to need them.

With the coco and ebony, you are going to hear low C's and D's unlike anything you're previously used to. The great thing about the Mark King layout is that the neck pickup is in a more normal position than their usual end-of-the-fingerboard placement. And also if this is your first, be prepared to have to up your technique, as you are now going to hear everything, and I do mean everything, and they can catch you out till you tighten up your game.

Mine had the same 'classic taper' neck, as Alembic terms it. 2" at the nut by 2.5" at the 24th fret. I loved it, as the strings felt almost parallel, like a classical guitar. I'm guessing it's the AXY 5/6 pickups, and should you want something a bit less clean and bit snarkier later, update them to FatBoy 5/6's. The control layout is volume, fader, bridge tone, neck tone, with a q-switch for each separately, and the two gain pots in the cavity for setting your gain limits on each pickup separately. This thing can easily go from big, lumpy organ pedal tone to what I used to call 'clavinet on meth', just incredibly spikey if need be, and everything in between. And the woodworking is to die for. There is NOTHING like an Alembic. Period.

Congrats, you have REALLY bought a bass.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Definitely not his first Alembic. I've seen a number of his videos with two other Alembics. Very talented player.

JackPlug, this is a very well known bass amongst the Alembic community. Here is a link to the build process for that bass. Jeff's Dire Wolf Custom

I am glad I wasn't very active on Alembic Club when that bass went up for sale. It is one of about 3 or 4 basses that I had "mentally bookmarked" in the event they ever came up for sale. It is specced almost exactly like what I would order if I were to custom order another Alembic.

Congrats! I know you will treat it well!

JackPlug likes this.
  7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very nice bass, congrats!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021