Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Necks: Oddly Uncomfortable Frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osciphex, Jan 13, 2003.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    So I was in a music store today and I decided to try out a $2200 dollar Alembic Essence that was up on the wall. The thing sounded fine, but as weird as it sounds, the frets seemed to stick out the sides a bit and bite into my hand as I slid up and down the neck. Whats with that? I would have thought such an outrageously priced instrument would feel more comfortable...

What did I end up actually enjoying? A regular american Fender jazz... but I'm biased towards that J neck taper anyway...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That was an issue on some of the Alembics. I can't recall what wood (rosewood, ebony?) that was used when it was fresh, and then after it was built, the wood dried up and shrunk up a bit, leaving those frets exposed.

That's not a problem in the past few years.

This is all IRRC, so I could be wrong.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, as Josh said. Ebony can shrink. Those basses are made in California so Wisconsin is definitely a different climate. A little fret dressing by someone who knows what they're doing and all is well. I've seen the same problem on Roscoes that are made on the East coast and then shipped to the West coast.