Alembic or Dingwall problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etaym, Jan 25, 2006.

1. etaym

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    Hi, after reading alot about the Dingwall ABII I decided to go for it. I now have the money to buy one, and just as I was going to I was informed of an Alembic Epic that someone wants to sell for $800.

Now comes the problem - should I go for the Epic and wait with the Dingwall for another 6 months or so, or should I overcome my current GAS and go with the plan...

I think a nobel prize should be given to the one who invents the "antiGAS" pill. u can even name the pill PASSWIND! Porquerment And Selling Solution - Wait, Inahle, Need Dollars!

u see, u see what happens to my humor when i encounter problems like this :bawl:
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Is the Alembic something you were really wanting? If so then I'd get it while you've got the chance as you can always order the Dingwall.
    However if it's just shoppers fever making you think of it I'd stick to getting the Dingwall now which is what I'm also wanting to order. Actually I want to get one of the Z series.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Dingwall and the Alembic are two completely different basses.

As much as the Alembic may be a great deal, do you really want it? If so, buy it...otherwise if it's just your instinct for a good bargain on a high end bass, I say you wait for the AB. Too bad you didn't catch the deal on the Prima 5 that was in the TB classifieds yesterday. It would have fixed your jones for both a Dingwall and high end craftsmanship.
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
  6. leading*the*rat

Oct 3, 2005
    Go for the Dingwall! I did own an Epic some years ago and i must say it was a real piece of crap, but i never heard of anyone who wasn't satisfied with his Dingwall

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I have an Alembic Epic. Very nice bass.I bought mine new.I just got a new Lecompte VB5 fretless and was blown away by the craftsmanship and the sound.I've had my Alembic for 11 years ,never had any problems with it. If you want the Alembic, go for it.Looks like a good deal for the money.Less expensive than a new one. You can always get what you want later on down the road.
  8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think you've really got to go for what you really want, what you're saving for, unless the "interloper" is like, a dream bass, albeit one you could never afford had this rare oppertunity had came along...otherwise a nagging doubt about whether you have made the right choice will be left in your head...:meh:
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well a used Alembic for $800 is likely rarer than the Dingwall. Id say if you want both, get the Alembic now, and save for the Dingwall after. You likely wouldnt lose much on a turn around on the Alembic if you decide its not for you down the road, and the Dingwall will likely always be available down the road. And seeing as how your only talking about maybe 6 months, you shouldnt have to worry about a price hike on the Dingwall.

That being said, if you can only get one of the two basses, I think your better off with on the Dingwall. IMO, its a better bass overall (of course it costs more too).
  10. I've come to believe that the anti-GAS medication that actually works on a long term basis (for me at least) is practice. This comment was not directed toward your playing, it just came to me when I read the above statement. But as for the question, having played an Epic, I think they are amazing instruments, and if you have the money, why not get both? What's another 6 months of waiting if you can own both of those amazing basses? Most people can only dream of owning one of them, let alone both.
  11. etaym

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    thanks for all the opinions. still havent made up my mind :meh: maybe i should sell a kidney :)
    well, i will go sleep on it...
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Overall, if you can only get one bass I'd say the Dingwall is a better bass.

If you can manage to save up again for the Dingwall and the Alembic is only available now, then go for the Epic.

Buy the bass you like the best.
  13. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  14. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Actually, $800-$900 is the going rate for an Epic on eBay. You won't lose any money, but that's not a super deal. That said, I own an Alembic Persuader and love it.

15. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I've never played a Dingwall, so I can't comment on it's worth and value relative to an Alembic. If I recall the Dingwall is the bass with the fanned frets, which I personally don't get, but to each his her own.

Alembics aren't for everyone. I own five with another on the way. Suffice to say I really like them. However, an $800 Alembic is the way to go if you're trying to figure out if you like Alembics or not. The way I see it if their "lower" end models aren't to your liking, chances are a Series II probably won't be either. I say get the Alembic now, save for the Dingwall. You can always sell the Alembic later and put it towards the Dingwall if you don't like it.
  16. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey etay -

Nice to hear Dingwalls are on your radar screen. I didn't notice if you were talking a 4 string or a 5 string. You contacted me a while back about the ABII 4 string I had for sale.

Since you have played Fenders and StingRays - consider Dingwall's Super J. It is a great bass.

As for 5ers - the AB-I is terrific for a passive bass. I have had both the AB-I and the AB-II and I think I liked the tone of the AB-I better. Right now I am holding on to the hope that Dingwall produces a Super J 5!!