Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrunkenJoker84, May 15, 2001.

1. DrunkenJoker84

DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    I am thinking of buying an Alembic Epic, but recently I heard that the Fender Jazz Deluxe V is an awesome piece of equipment. I am interested in playing funk, and i heard flea used an Alembic for a while. I want to know which guitar is better, especially for funk.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh, hello? Alembic, without a doubt whatsoever.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    well i havent tried a alembic but by the way everyone here talks about them, they gotta be good. i cant believe im saying this.....try em both and see wich you like more?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For funk, Alembic. Try one unplugged; you'll see why.

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I own an Alembic Essence 5 string and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string. The are both fine basses. You mention that you're considering an Epic. I'm not particularly fond of that bass because it does not include the "Low Pass Filter", a component of the electronics that helps deliver the classic Alembic tone.

I think your budget will determine the proper course of action. Go to www.alembic.com and familiarize yourself with their basses and rackmount devices. They are truly wonderful instruments. New Alembics are quite spendy, however, they tend to have low resale value on the secondary market and deals can be had on eBay or dealers (I bought my Essence used for about $1400).

If you want to go the new route, and price is a real consideration, you might try the Fender and an Alembic SF-2 superfilter. I have this and it makes the Fender very tone flexible.

Best of luck,

Bones