1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic or Sadowsky ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingrayz, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hi all,

If money was not an issue, which kind of bass would you get, An Alembic, or a Sadowsky.

PS: money is not an issue, and if possible, tell me the pros and cons of the two basses... thanks

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Alembic hands down. Nothing against Sadowsky, they are wonderfully crafted instruments and great sounding. But when spending that type of cash, I want something more original then a Jazz based clone.

The hand workmanship and quality of Alembics basiclly set the standard for "high end" basses. They are timeless works of art. And that sound...wow. I had a Alembic Distillate 5-string for about 16 years. Nothing sound like that bass, live or in the studio. It had such a full, clear sound.

Again, nothing against Sadowsky, they are I feel two very different animals. If I ever had the chance to get a high end "Jazz" type bass, I would most likely get one.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sadowsky, hands up! :spit: Seriously, I'm not an Alembic fan at all! They're great basses, they're just not for me. I hate the sound and feel of 'em, and I love Sadowskys! Hell, I play one now. If loot's no prob, I'd get a burgundy mist or seafoam green p/j 5 with a matching stock, tort p/g, and a rosewood board! :bassist:

4. I'm with ya, Woodchuck. Not a fan of Alembics. I'll take the Sadowsky.

5. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    If money were no object I would go for a custom built Alembic. The series 2 electrics are really the top as far as I'm concerned and some of their work as seen on their guitars of the month part of the web site are spectacular. Alembics craftmanship is first rate and their inlay work is amongst the best out there, period.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm sorry......what was the question again?

[​IMG]

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...do you want it for sound/playability or just the "cool factor"???...

~S~

PS: They're totally two extremely different, beautiful instruments that won't sound/feel alike, ever...bad comparison...

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mr. Alemb..er Malthumb! How's it going man? How are things in autoland? Still planning on the Tahoe!

9. One thing to keep in mind. Alembic will build you ANYTHING. Any crazy dream bass, any size, shape, or profile neck, whatever you want. I've seen some damn sweet Alembic Jazz style basses, if you're stuck on that styling. Try to get a Sadowsky with a body style you designed yourself, with a neck to your specs, in a scale that is unique to you.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nothing against Alembics. Beautiful basses. A Sadowsky is more my style and my sound though. Sadowsky for me.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd go with a Sadowsky... I love the look of (some) Alembics, but I feel like a Sadowsky would fit me much more.

12. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1
    I would take a PJ5 with a full sized body in trans green w/ a clear pg and a rosewood fretboard w/ white binding and white block inlays

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

In a way, this question is a little like asking which vehicle someone would rather have -- a Mercedes or a Hummer.

Two completely different basses, both well built and excellent at what they do. Personal preference rules here.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Awesome collection man.

I'd go with this guy!

15. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    Alembics are some of the most amazing basses around, you can't go wrong with thier classic styling, beautiful sound and feel

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As noted, two completely different instruments: different look, different tone. I prefer the Fender-ish look and tone to the boutique look and tone, so I've chosen Sadowsky.

17. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    +1 to that. Seems like there's a lot of ground between those two options. Ritters, F's, a bunch of them...

I like Sadowskys too, but if cost is no object at all... "A" is for Alembic.

PS: I've seen some pretty ugly Alembics too... check out their site, they have lots of pics of bassses to look at.

18. I've currently got a '76 Series I & an early Distillate--so, I'd have to say Sadowsky....as in, I want one (but I'm keeping my Alembics!).

19. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    If money is no object, as you say, why not get one of each? :)

20. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I would go with Sadowsky simply because I am a Jazz Bass man.