Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Orient 5's owner need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Nov 10, 2004.

1. I owned a 3 years old Alembic Oreint 5 strings, http://www.alembic.com/prod/orion.html ,
    and just recently I notice that the sound of B string is a kind of hallo and loud (louder than E and A). The bass is so beautyful and the sound is great too as long as B was not involved.
    I have tried Batolini HR 4.7 preamps but it does not change any thing and I also tried different kind of strings and string's guage too.

I wonder if changing a new pickups would be an ideal thing to do or not. for example a Batolini ??
    Is there another way to improve the B sound.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:bag:

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  3. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    I would have left the preamp alone and experimented with different strings or a different bass. Gutting an Alembic usually just results in hurting it's resale value.

4. go to the alembic.com club and post this question (have your serial # ready), also register your instrument and alembic will give you warranty support whether you're the original owner or not. This is not usual for an orion 5 to my knowledge, so they should be able to help you get it set up better, or fix it if something is broken.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm not really familiar with the Orion, but if it has an adjustable brass nut *, as do several Alembic models, I would check the height of the nut on the B string side compared to the height of the G string side. If there is a pronounced slant, could be that the B is significantly closer to the pickup than other strings.

As has been suggested, if you ask your question at the Alembic Club, there are several guys there that know Orions as well as the people who built them. Hopefully you still have the original pre-amp. Putting that back in will probably help your troubleshooting.

Peace,

James

* Just checked. Unless the previous owner changed it, it does have an adjustable nut. I'd give that a shot before strings or pickups. Then I'd try strings. Then I'd send an email or place a phone call to San Jose. I wouldn't screw around with replacing the pickups or original pre-amp. Sorta like buying a BMW and replacing the engine and transmission.

6. Thanks and I will take it from here.