Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alembic pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 26, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I bought a used fretless yamaha p bass a couple years ago. The guy who owned it before me installed alembic split p pickup replacements in it. Recently, the pickup height keeps raising by itself. One thing I hate about them is that there are no springs under the pickups on the height screws. the pickups are just loose sitting on foam squares. I like to play hard and i also like playing over the pickups. every time I dig my fingers in, the pickups recess deeply into the body of my bass. Would it screw up my pickups if I put springs under the pickups like normal pickups? Are alembic pickups normally set up the way I previously described? if so, whats the point? Should I just buy new pickups? that would be unfortunate because I really dig their tone. Would lock tight (the kind that still allows a set screw to move) fix my height raising problem?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I haven't seen Alembic's Split-P pups, but on my Essence, pickups have 2 screws (one on each side) that set the height, and the other 2 that 'lock' that height into position. There are no springs, and this system seems to work real well. Setting the pickups on springs 'de-couples' the pickups from the wood, so I would expect that to change the tone.

[Edited by Brooks on 08-26-2000 at 03:47 PM]

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I don't think my pickups have lock screws but I am not sure what they look like or where they would be if I did. The only screws I see are the two that set the height. If anyone can help me on the pickup height raising by it self, I would be grateful.