alembic pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 26, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I bought a used fretless yamaha p bass a couple years ago. The guy who owned it before me installed alembic split p pickup replacements in it. Recently, the pickup height keeps raising by itself. One thing I hate about them is that there are no springs under the pickups on the height screws. the pickups are just loose sitting on foam squares. I like to play hard and i also like playing over the pickups. every time I dig my fingers in, the pickups recess deeply into the body of my bass. Would it screw up my pickups if I put springs under the pickups like normal pickups? Are alembic pickups normally set up the way I previously described? if so, whats the point? Should I just buy new pickups? that would be unfortunate because I really dig their tone. Would lock tight (the kind that still allows a set screw to move) fix my height raising problem?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I haven't seen Alembic's Split-P pups, but on my Essence, pickups have 2 screws (one on each side) that set the height, and the other 2 that 'lock' that height into position. There are no springs, and this system seems to work real well. Setting the pickups on springs 'de-couples' the pickups from the wood, so I would expect that to change the tone.

[Edited by Brooks on 08-26-2000 at 03:47 PM]
  3. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I don't think my pickups have lock screws but I am not sure what they look like or where they would be if I did. The only screws I see are the two that set the height. If anyone can help me on the pickup height raising by it self, I would be grateful.