1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic Pickups Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Corn Philips, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Corn Philips

Corn Philips

Nov 3, 2020
    Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Ibanez Roadstar II Bass in pretty rough condition, but it had Alembic pickups that piqued my interest.

SEE PICTURES

The pickups are solderless connections and wired to a matching set of 2 volume pots, 1 tone pot, an output jack, and a 9V battery. The pickups and controls work, but two of the pots have had their shafts pulled out. One is missing and the other I can't seem to get back in place. Normally I would just buy a new set of pots and replace them, but due to the proprietary nature of these I wanted to do what I could to keep them.

So I guess my question is this: is it a good idea to replace these with a generic pot/jack/preamp set or is it worth trying to save the originals?

Thanks, Dave

2. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Bourns make pots that will fit or you can ask Alembic if they will sell you replacements. I have this preamp in a custom bass I made in 1985 with two "P" pickups and they are irreplaceable. The pickups only work with the Alembic preamp so you have to save it or replace the pickups as well. DSCF2500.JPG

wraub likes this.
  3. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Save it, it’s worth it.

Talk to Alembic for replacements.

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Another vote to talk to Alembic. Their service is said to be among the best.

5. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yes, i bought a charvel strat with alembic pickups and the tone filter pot had the shaft pulled out. if the knobs were the standard ones alembic use then i think the reason for the damage is because someone did not know the right way to get the knob off the shaft. Here is the correct procedure in case you need to remove them in future.
    You are being redirected...
    i sent the whole wiring minus the pickups back to alembic to fix.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021