Alembic Pickups - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Dec 4, 2002.

1. In the near future I'm going to be looking into buying some high end pups for my custom. I'm thinking about getting Alembic J+Js...but theyre really expensive. Is the sound you get from them really worth 400 bucks, or should i just get some EMGs or something? Perhaps they are worth it just because not alot of people want to spend 400 dollars on them, I dunno. Thanks.

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I played an Alembic with J pickups and it sounded like... a bass with J pickups. Nothing really special. I don't know, it could have been the room, the amp, the player; I just wasn't impressed. I guess you're paying for the name and the woods and the craftsmanship. But don't go off of my limited experience, I'm sure others have had better.
  3. Thats sort of what I expected. And yeah, not using these on an Alembic bass so i dont really get the name or the woods, heh. Thanks for the input...anyone else?

4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think other pickups have come a lot closer to theirs in recent years.

Their electronics are still pretty distinctive though (Wal's about the only one close).
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a set of PVF J's in a Warwick Thumb. THe single tone control is a lo pass filter and it's excellent for dialling the 'right' sound and varying it with technique.