Alembic players I need you!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VinceLovesF, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Hi Everybody!

I was just earing Stanley Clarke "Live at the Greek", when I told myself, "what a sound!". :eek:
    So perhaps Alembic users will be able to help me?

Can we obtain Stanley Clarke's sound with an Alembic? :help:

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The sound is in an Alembic Series II, but you'll need Stanley's skills to coax it out.
  3. This is just to know, I know that Stanley's skills are making all the differences! :)
    I won't buy an Alembic, this is too much $$$$ for me!

4. Yes, you can get 'that sound' with an Alembic carrying Series electronics... :hyper:

(and if you buy secondhand, Alembics offer a great deal)
  5. Hi!

What's this?
    I don't know Alembic at all!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just curious as to the build time for a custom Alembic?
  7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Build time for a custom Alembic - anywhere between 6-18 months... plenty of time to save up the year's salary that it'll cost you to get it... :D

You can also get a semblance of the Alembic tone using the SF-2 Superfilter preamp that Alembic do... has all the same tone control variations you get on the Series II preamp.

Russ :bassist:

From the price tags i have seen it looks that way too :D
  9. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Most Alembic sell at a much reduced price from their list prices, and Ebay used to be a good place; I got my Orion for less than $800, but that's not a Series bass.
  10. Have you got an idea of a price for a custom Alembic, I know this price for custom F, Fodera, Nordstrand, but no ideas for Alembic! :(

I think I'll be afraid....

I heard this custom alembic was in the $ 20,000 usd range

PS if i was a weathy person i would want them to build me a bass just like this one, pretty cool stuff.
  12. .......... :confused:
    What can I said except OMG! :rollno:

For this price, I would like a F Bass custom :hyper: , Fodera :) , Nordstrand :D and a modulus or Roscoe :p , why not a Zon!
    Adrian @ accessbass just received one, look at this, beautiful!

13. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID :eyebrow:

JUST KIDDING, well, sort of, :cool: I have a Alembic Rogue 5 string, which is like their middle line, it cost me new in 1997/98 aprx 3000$, I have a pic of it here at the talk bass gallery, see link below, and peace to you.
  14. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Alembic has a sound of it's own, but you must remember there are three half to great tone, a good bass, a good amp and a good player. I have a Series 1 and an Epic and they both have that Alembic sound. Alembic's are one of the finest basses made, used Alembic's are a great value and worth the money, but having Alembic build you a custom just the way you want it, would be the best!!!

David T
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree that Stanley's tone is in mainly in his hands.

Check out the Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. It's essentially Series-II electronics in a one rack space unit. Alembic also sells pickups, they call them 'Activators', that you can put into your existing instrument. IMO this will get you close. My alembic is the Europa model, kind of their 'mid-priced' model, which is a wonderful bass, but I sure don't sound like Stanley on it! :D
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Agree on all points. I don't agree that Stanley's sound is all in his fingers. His bass has a lot to do with it. There's no other bass on the planet that sounds quite like an Alembic (I have three of them at the moment, and over the years have owned maybe twenty or so). Although, you can probably come close with one or two or three other brands, but IMO you couldn't in a million years get that sound on a Fender.

The SF-2 is an interesting idea. From what Ron told me, the boost in the Alembic Q filter is right around 6 kHz when the tone control is fully open, and it's certainly possible to get that with an outboard parametric. The Alembic filter is a little different from an ordinary parametric though, it's more like a second order shelving filter, with a slight peak right where the boost occurs. I'd be very curious to hear from people who think they're getting "exactly the Alembic sound" with their SF-2 and some other non-Alembic bass, and what kind of bass they're using.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Very true. I was in a store in Toronto on Saturday and there were a number of Alembics (Orions, mostly, but no Series basses) selling between $2000 and $3500.

Their monthly custom page causes some Major gas but with those prices it is a distent dream. What do you all think of the dragon bass link i posted above, isint that something?.
  19. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you go to Alembic's website they have a Quote Generator that will get you close to what list would be on a new custom order. What you actually pay depends on what sort of deal you can work out with your dealer. You have to go through a dealer, even on a custom order.

I ordered my custom in March 2000 and received it in June 2000. It is not particularly wild, especially compared to some of the monthly customs displayed. I've seen some of the more complex customs take well over a year.

My custom Alembic 5 String