1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic Preamps & Accessories!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, May 8, 2010.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Rocket Music is now an official dealer for Alembic preamps and accessories! I figured I needed to be carrying the F-1X preamp since I seem to plug it (and it plugs itself just by how good it sounds) every time I do an audio clip. :bassist:

We're not going to carry the instruments just yet, but I am confident that we will sometime in the near future. Having played an Alembic Europa myself for 15+ years, it's been a long time dream of mine. Getting started with the Alembic accessories is a first step in that direction.

The stuff is a little spread out on my site, so here are some quick links and the menu navigation to find them manually:

Preamps: Bass Amps | Alembic
    Strings: Strings | Alembic Bass Strings
    Cables & Polish: Accessories | Alembic Cables & Polish

The order has been placed, so this will all be shipping to me from CA sometime next week. I should have everything in stock within 2 weeks! :hyper:

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Wow, I expected the strings to be scary expensive! Know if they're any good?

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Being Alembic, I'm sure they're very good. But I've yet to try a set.

They claim to be bright and silky smooth, which is what I love in a string. So I'll be trying 'em if they're long enough for a 35" Roscoe... and I won't know the answer to that question until they arrive. Come on, UPS!!

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, and don't trust my prices on any of this stuff just yet. I think they're all under the minimum price that I'm supposed to show, but they're the prices that I found online elsewhere... if nobody else plays by the rules, I don't see why I should :eyebrow:

:bag:

OK, I really do like to play by the rules... but I'm not gonna post prices that are above everyone else's prices just to be a goody-goody. I think there must have been a price increase recently, and some dealers out there haven't updated their web pricing yet. My current prices are close to what they shoud be. Say on the electronics, I'm like $25-50 short of what the prices should be.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Awesome Greg.

I could go for a F-2B myself.
    I don't have any experince with the F-1X. How do they differ. (except for the F-2B being stereo)

However, at the moment, I have no desire to go with a seperate pre slash power amp again.
    My rig is on a diet since I don't play big venues.

I am very curious about the SF-2. I have no idea what it does.

... cue the sales talk ;) :bag:

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The F-1X is indeed the MONO version of the F-2B, but it also includes several features that the F-2B does NOT have. The F-1X adds an internal crossover, a direct-out and an effects loop. I used the crossover with my old cab configuration (410 & 115), but I won't with the NV610. I use the direct-out all the time as my send to the PA. And I'll start using the effects loop once I add the SF2. The F-1X also has a "Deep" switch that is magic... I don't see it on the F-2B front panel, but it might be on the rear panel?

The F2B would be cool for running two basses (say a fretless and a fretted), you could EQ both basses differently right there on the F2B's front panel. Me? I'd miss the direct out, I really don't like mic'ing my cabs at gigs. But for small shows where there's no PA, it would work for me and the second channel would probably come in handy.

I'm not sure what to expect from the SF2, I've just always loved Alembic's description of it - the swiss army knife of tone! Who doesn't need one of those?!? In reality, I think it's just a really flexible EQ. I don't know whether I'll have a real use for it, but I certainly want to experiment with it.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I've been trying to find info on the SF-2, its pretty thin on the ground, from what I've found, its similar to their onboard filter preamps, right Greg?

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Haha, beat to the punch with an answer to my question...

9. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Greg,

Have you ever used the F1-X with a "lighter" poweramp that you thought was decent? I know the Crest/Alembic is PB&J for ya but there has to be a lighter alternative that produces similar results right?

I SO wanna go light and small so I can "schlep" my own gear (Independance thing):spit: So what I'm askin' you is, if you Greg Bump loved the F1-X as much as you do and you had to go lighter, which direction would you go?

:help:

God Bless, Ray

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yeah, Sansamp Character Series pedal + Gallien Krueger MB2-500. :D

btw Greg, why don't you carry Tech21?

IMO their preamps are great.

11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music

Eh, I'd probably just go with the Shuttle or the TC and be done with it. As soon as you go 19" rack, it just gets heavy and cumbersome (relatively speaking). These little heads can slip in a shoulder bag that frees up both hands to either work your crutches or carry something else...

If ya HAD to have the F1X, though, I'd look around for a good sounding stand-alone class-D power amp, preferably 1-2u. If you could make the rack a 2 or 3 spacer, that would be pretty portable. I'm not sure if anyone is making one, I'm not really up on power amps these days. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere?

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    QSC PLX

Pretty lightweight.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    21 pounds, and how heavy is the FX-1, roughly?

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    What about a Carvin DCM1000L?

1000w poweramp at 10 pounds?

Sorry, thats at 4ohms bridged, not standard....

15. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Bridged counts! I finally looked up my Crest CA6 specs, and it's 1500W bridged into 4 ohms (and the NV610 is 4 ohms). I'm gonna have to watch it, though, the NV610 is only rated at 750W...

16. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I don't wanna rule anything out because it'd be "difficult", I'm stubborn like that :smug:.

When the time comes I'll probably choose the TC or the Shuttle for simplicities sake. BUT if the F1X is "tonal nirvana" I'd MAKE it happen:D. I've learned to be pretty inventive on "gettin' 'r' dun". :p Dollies, Carts, Little Red Wagons etc.

I didn't know if you'd tried the F1X with another amp and said "that's close" but not as awesome as the Crest.

I dunno, I'm probably buggin' ya but hey somebody has to:smug:

Thanks man.

:D

God Bless, Ray

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ahhh cool, I'll be quiet honest, I haven't a clue what it means, hahahah! I was just Googling light poweramps...

18. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
  19. Congrats on the line, Greg. Here's hoping the stuff flies off the shelves.

Were I to ever go back to the pre+power rig, the F1-X would be #1 on a very short list (i.e., like one name long) of pre's I'd lust after. But I have to tell you, looking at what I paid for my old one...and certainly what I got for it when I sold...it makes me shed a tear looking at today's prices.

20. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Now you NEED a NV412! Full power baby!

:D

God Bless, Ray