Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alembic preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Apr 3, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    whats the difference between the Alembic F1X and F2B preamps?

are they any good and how do they compare to Demeter, Ampeg and Warwick preamps in terms of sound versatility?

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    The F-2B is a 2 channel stereo preamp based on Fender Dual Showman circuitry. The F-1X is a mono preamp with one of the F-2B channels but includes a variable crossover, bright and deep boost. I know the F-1X has an XLR Direct Out but am unsure if the F-2B has one.

I've used the F-1X for about 4 years and love it. Pretty much no frills but gives you a nice solid tone. For most bassist, the F-1X is probably a more practical choice, but if you run a stereo rig, the F-2B is the way to go.

Bones

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks Alembicbones

is there a price difference between the two models? cos a crossover is much more favorable by me than stereo capability.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    They're very comparible in price. You should be able to find a new F-1X for about $600 and a used one for $400 or less. I've noticed F-1X's coming up regularly on eBay. Bass Northwest almost always has new units in stock.

The F-1X is taylor-made to run a bi-amp rig.

Bones

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I live in Israel so buying from Ebay or Bass NW is going to be a very tax filled operation.

luckily I'm flying to the Netherlands tonight and I hope to buy a preamp there, I'm leaning toward the Warwick Quadraplet (because of the Quadramatrix circuitry) but I read so many good things about the Alembic preamps that I decided to audition one too before I make the purchase.
    if it helps I'm going after a fat sound with smooth hi mid and highs (I hate wet, harsh sounds).
    anyway, I guess listening to all of them is the best way as I wont get the option to refund or return the preamp for another one thus I'm not buying the one that recived the best reviews.