Alembic Price Increase?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man, I just saw that Alembic is upping their prices by 15%. They are already one of the most expensive basses out there. Thats crazy. If I had a bass worth as much as a mid-range alembic, I would be constantly worrying about it at every gig I go to :) . Not that I don't think they are very pretty though :bassist:
  2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    sheesh, their a bit over priced to begin with. Give me a break.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I agree that their prices are insane. Of course, I've never played one, so it may very well be worth it. I just honestly don't seem myself ever dropping $13K down on a bass. But maybe I missed something entirely here...

4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Sophistication and class costs money :oops:.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    How are those basses more "sophisicated" or "classy" than any other luthiers? How are they more classy or sophisicated as any other bass that ISNT $13K?

6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I disagree...STATUS costs money.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hey, as long as there are people willing to pay, then more power to them.
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Even status doesn't cost THAT MUCH. I mean honestly :(. Perhaps the jealousy is getting to me :p. I dunno, as I said, I never see myself laying $13K down on a bass, but then again, I never used to see myself owning a full stack or an ESP either....

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My guitarist plays an Orion... it's one of the best playing and looking guitars I've ever held.

Alembic's prices are over the top... but you can expect to pay a bit less then the price listed.

I was just pricing a bass for s**ts and giggles today. 6 string fretless explorer shape, cone headstock, birdsey body caps front and back over ash, series 2 electronics, ebony stringers.... $16K :eek:
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I did the exact same thing, only, fretted, cos I like speedbumps. Came out slightly less, maybe some diff options, but yeah, $16,000...geeze...

11. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I to have to agree that Alembic's are over priced
  12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

Just my opinion, I don't think highly figured tops on basses look classy. Now, there are exceptions, but I prefer a nice piece of Ash with a transparent finish to almost any figured wood. Birdseye mapel looks pretty swank, though. It's just not my thing. I am starting to think that I am in the minority with these views, but to each his own.

Just my $.02
  13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This last year, it seems that quite a few builders/companies are raising their prices substantially which to me makes little sense with the economy the way it is right now. Off the top of my head, Modulus, Zon, Lull, and now Alembic have raised prices a fair amount. I have heard of a few others that will be increasing prices in January as well. I was just on Chris Stambaugh's website today, I have to really agree with his build philosophy that basses shouldn't have to cost this much, no matter how custom.
  14. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    +1 +1 +1
  15. I heard Pedulla was raising their prices too...which sucks cause i am/was planning to get one next summer.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic raised their prices 15% in April, 2003 after holding them firm for about 4 or 5 years. I'd be surprised if they raised them again so soon. That type of increase would've been posted at The Alembic Club. It isn't, so I kinda doubt it.

Are Alembics VERY expensive? Hell yeah!!

Are they over priced? As with so many things, that's a matter of opinion and everybody has at least one (opinion, that is).

Are they worth the high price? You'd have to ask someone who owns one if it's worth what they paid. I've owned 6. Still own the most expensive 2. If any of them wasn't worth what I paid, I wouldn't have bought the next one. One of these days I may order another. I'm sure I could find a few people who'll say that the one they bought didn't live up to their expectations.

Given the high prices, if they were truly overpriced, Alembic would have a hard time moving them. If you go to the The Alembic Club's Factory to Customer you'll see post after post from people who have one OR MORE basses under construction. Alembic is not hurting for business and customers are getting antsy about the increasing wait times. That doesn't tend to happen when products are overpriced.

By the way, Alembic just gave away a bass for the first time ever. I'll post another thread on that one.

17. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003

Well Said!! :p

My Alembic is worth every penny I paid! After visiting the factory and seeing first hand the level of workmenship, the care and the sheer love put into building these instruments, yea they are worth it...
  18. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Doesn't every luthier and such put this effort and love into a bass though? Any instrument? For some a bass may be worth that kind of money, but for me, as of now, I'm more than happy with what I have and what I want (the G&L and Fender), and I believe that those will more than satisfy my wants tone and sound wise. Perhaps though, some need to spend that much on a bass to achieve their goals.

19. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Well part of the increase is US Talkbass users. Every now and then some one here spreads a good word about a new luthier and after few years that luthiers starts to get more orders because we constantly praise their work. More orders come in, which means a luthier becomes more skillfull and experienced, so the product quality is better, therefore more expensive, plus off course the usual yearly inflation, which I doubt is 15%, more like 1% -3%. Few years back we didn't know more then half the luthiers we now consider a household name at Talkbass. So there give yourself a big hand for being a gearslut. :spit: Of course I'm talking more general to the overall price increase of smaller name luthiers, not the big boys, who rely purely on their name more then quality increase of 15%. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.