1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic question for you experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ledyard, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have always wanted a Spoiler or persuader. I now have cash in hand for the right one.

I am suddenly under the impression that these are all 1.75" nut width? Is this true?

This would royally suck if so.

2. I am no expert, and maybe I'm missing something, but aren't all Alembics custom basses? Couldn't you just ask for the width at the nut that you would prefer? I'm sure they have some wiggle room in their design, right?

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Well obviously I'm talking about vintage alembic stuff. Not custom ordering but I guess you could have a point.

I just figured unless custom ordered there was probably a standard width offered.

4. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Neck widths at the nut can vary, as each instrument is different in some ways. It all depends. My first Alembic was a Spoiler-Exploiter (an Explorer type body with Spoiler electronics), and I don't recall it being that wide (I would have noticed as I don't like 1.75" Precision style nut widths for the most part). Best thing to do is to play one if possible, or, if thinking of purchasing one ask the owner to measure the width at the nut before plunking down cash.

5. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thats what I did today. I was going to make a deal with a guy for the Custom Blue one on Ebay but he got back to me with a 1.75" nut width....:mad:

6. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Spoilers and Persuaders came with what now known is as the "Classic taper" nut = 1.75 12th fret = 2.25
    Later Alembic introduced the "Comfort taper" nut = 1.625 12th fret = 2.35
    Classic is: Wide nut narrow bridge
    Comfort is narrow nut wide bridge.

You can see the differences in this picture:

[​IMG]

Last two basses have the comfort taper (more like the "standard" Fender size)
    The first three (Alembics, ignore the Fender) have the Classic taper.

These models have the comfort taper as standard option: Epic, Orion, Excel, Essence, Rogue, Dragon Wing and Europa basses

The Signature Standard, Signature Deluxe and Brown Basses have the new "Slender taper" (nut 1.5 12th fret 2.15) as standard option. (build after 2006, before that they came standard with the classic taper)

You might want to concentrate on those models if the classic taper is not for you, but remember: Alembic is custom so the you'll have to verify the taper with any seller. (from the Essence you can get custom neck specs with no extra costs, even a duplicate of your current favourite neck regardless of brand)

I've had comments from bass players that thought (based on looking at the pictures) that my Alembics have extremely tiny/narrow necks, but when they played them they were surprised to find a hefty Precision bass like nut.
    Also the necks can be very thick, that depends on model/year made.
    My '88 Spoiler feels almost like a bass ball bat (yep I own two of those to, only for sport/recreational use though) The '90 Elan neck is extremely thin and the '83 Spoiler falls in between them.

I just got a quote for a set neck Spoiler (basically an Epic/Orion/Excel with Spoiler body) You might be surprised at what a new one will cost you after the discounts, may be worth a call to Santa Rosa ;-)

And there's at least one Spoiler I know of with the classic taper (and 34 inch scale) They are out there :)

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic has standard models that some dealers will order and stock. Customer orders can be as custom as you want them to be. This can help or hurt resale value. Some customers just specify woods, others specify modifications to the logo, the bridge, neck profiles, and inlays.

The '83 Spoiler that was my first Alembic was stock, same for my '87 Stanley Clarke, and my '79 Series II. Of the two I have left, my '87 Series I is stock, my '00 Series II is very custom (my specs).

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    The wider spacing on alembic by the nut isn't that bad. They are pretty easy to play anywhere along the neck

9. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Spoilers were made standard with a 32" scale too.

I really like the vintage Alembic bodies too, for me it would be an MK Deluxe with a 1.5" nut/comfort taper.

10. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I had a 5 string spoiler and it felt pretty wide at the nut, more so than my stingray 5 and on par with some warwicks. it was narrow or stayed about the same at the bridge though.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've never really taken the time to measure the nut on my Alembic Essence 5 string but to me it feels like a Jazz width not a Precision width. I do not like 5 string Fender P basses unless they have a Jazz neck option, much to fat for my liking.
    Check out the Essence if you get a chance, I think they have a lot of different neck options for that model and you might just find one that's magic - I did. Here's mine...
    Alembic001.

12. Jakob Millung

Jakob Millung

Jul 2, 2015
    Hi Guys
    Can anyone help with the Measurements og the alembic Brown bass? Preferably a link to a drawing or something.. I'm in the midst of Building my own bass but and I wanna model it on the Brown bass but I cant find any specs anywhere.. J