Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've been thinking of putting some Alembic J style pups and an activator preamp into my 2004 Warwick Corvette Standard, but $700 is alot of money and I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with them.

Thanks.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    In the mid-80's I installed a set of Alembic soap bars and an Alembic pre-amp (from their Spoiler series basses, I believe) into a custom bass. I really liked how the tone progressively changed in the mids. Only down side was that this pre-amp lacked decent headroom when run at 9v, and I was always clipping it with my formerly heavy fingerstyle.

The volume pot gave up the ghost several years back and I've never gotten around to getting it fixed. Maybe this is incentive to get that bass rolling again ...

R

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I have a set in my MIJ Jazz bass and they are fantastic. If you don't mind a second hand set and are patient, you can find them on eBay from time to time for about half that price or better.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

there's a set of Alembic activators with pre on ebay now. Can't remember if they're soaps or J's, think they're J's.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Thanks guys.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

they weren't J's, they were PJ's. Thought I posted that.