1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic Restoration: Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garmenteros, Oct 18, 2009.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Hey, I need some advice. I recently got an alembic for 450 dollars. A beat up 5 string spoiler. It had no electronics. It was a pity to see such a fine instrument as beat up as it was. I called alembic to see how much they would bill me for spoiler electronics and they quoted me for 850 $U.S. Too much money for electronics in my opinion, and considering what I paid for the bass, not worth it. Can someone weigh in on what preamp would work best with this bass? Im thinking of a 2 band, 4 knob preamp, but suggestions would gladly be taken.

Seriously I considered the acg preamp, but it was a bit too expensive as well. I decided to go with the glockenlang 2 band 4 knob preamp.
    Here are some specs...

- Volume with pushpull for Active/Passive selection
    - Blend
    - Treble: +/- 18 dB@18 KHz
    (tone roll-off in passive mode on 3 band 5 knob and 2 band 4 knob versions)
    - Bass: +/- 14 dB@40 Hz

Any thoughts on glockenlang electronics?

2. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Here are before and after shots of the alembic in question:

BEFORE:
    DSC05586.
    DSC05591.
    DSC05589.

AFTER:
    nv22-008.
    nv22-006.

Here are the pickups, there AXY pickups, if that helps
    DSC05596.

3. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    You could also look out for some Alembic 'activators' (the electronics to power those pickups) to show up used on eBay. I see them every couple months, and it surely won't be $850. I'm not sure what other pre-amp would work well with the pickups, I bet someone will have some suggestions, though. Good luck and keep us posted. It is a shame to see a bass in such bad condition, but it's good to see you're bringing it back!

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
  5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    So you do have the pickups, just not the preamp/pots?

There was a thread around here not too long ago where someone described problems using Alembic pickups with an AGC preamp; I believe (not positive) the upshot was that Alembic pickups have a very low output level and/or are finnickey about what electronics they're paired with.

[edit: retracted due to additional information; see below]

6. ao'connor17

ao'connor17

Feb 12, 2007
    Tivoli, NY
    I was gonna say ACG as well, but it might be worth splurging for the alembic pickups. An alembic for 1300 still isn't bad...

7. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    The issue with Alembic pickups has been resolved. We have tweaked the lowpass filter which we think was causing the feedback issue so all should be good now.
    Alan

8. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    iI have the pickups, but am missing the electronics. Thx alot for the responses. I had a luthier try a passive lespaul circuit on them ( 2 volume and 2 tone) and the pickups had really low output. And the sound wasn't very flattering. Alembic activators, never heard of these before and havent seen any on ebay. these are alembic's xy pickups by the way.

9. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    +1

10. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

There ya go: An AGC preamp in that bass should be killer! Highly recommended.

11. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Just sent you a PM asking a couple of things about a certain preamp. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

12. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I have a genuine 2 band Alembic EQ that may interest you,PM sent.

13. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    PM answered. If you need any further info just let me know.
    Alan

14. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I appreciate everyone's msgs... Im weighing my choices and glad everyone chipped their .02

15. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Just pulled the trigger on some new electronics for this baby. Got a glockenlang 2 band 4 knob preamp. Also got matching gold knobs to go with the rest of the hardware. Thoughts on glockenlang electronics?