1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic Rogue vs. Alembic Mark King ? Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, May 1, 2006.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I'm in the privelaged position of being able to purchase either an Alembic Rogue 4, or an Alembic Mark King 4 (both "standard" models with normal electronics).

My question is, how do the basic tones compare? I know what Alembics are capable of sounding like, from years of listening to John Entwhistle et al, but I wonder if the newer, cheaper models have that punchy yet "airy" quality to the sound.

So, come on you lucky Alembic owners, help me out if you can. Any descriptions of the tonal possibilities (particularly of the narrower pickups in the Rogue), would be greatly appreciated.

My cursor is hovering near the "Buy it Now" button, as we speak! Just need some moral support before I click on the mouse.:smug:

2. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    The pickups are essentially the same size magnets, just different sized casings, unless the larger ones are the optional Alembic Fat Boy pickups. The Signature electronics have a preamp and a low pass filter with "Q" switch (8db boost at the cut off freq) for each pickup. The Rogue electronics have one preamp, one filter & Q, and bass & treble boost/cut switches. The Signature electronics are "better", more expensive, and wider tonal range possibilities (more like JE), but many Alembic players swear by the Rogue with the boost/cut switches. Rogue body is much more user friendly vs. the standard King body unless you like a long stretch for the first fret.

You can go to www.alembic.com, and search the discussion groups there for further info.

Good luck,

Tom

3. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Great tip Tom, thanks! I didn't know that they they had such a discussion group, but I'm off to check it out now ... :bassist:

4. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    If you post the same question there you will get PLENTY of moral support as well. The company's support is pretty good too.

Tom

5. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Well, I didn't need much encouragement afterall!

I read a bunch of posts and realised that I just had to give the Rogue a try. My collection consists entirely of Leo Fender designed bolt-on necked basses (Precisions, Stingrays and a Jazz). Nothing wrong with that, of course, except that I've been trying hard to get a "throatier" sound and to improve my (extremely poor) slap technique. The Alembic should be a much better vehicle for that.

Anyway, I've done it now (just used the "Buy it Now" option on eBay). So, in a week or so, I'll know if it was a stroke of inspiration, or a ghastly impulsive mistake! :meh:

If I hate it, I can always sell it and go out and buy another StingRay! :smug:

6. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    I think the Rogue is the correct choice for such a purchase. You will get the benefits of the neck through design and longer upper horn for comfort. I'm sure the electronics will give you a wide range of usable Alembic tones. If you're buying used, it should hold its relative value as you mention if you need to sell.

Tom