1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic series 1 vs. Squier CV P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nobody, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    another stupid "VS." thread

Alembic series 1 vs. Squier CV P bass

What do think of these?

Which would you choose? Why?

:eyebrow:

OOD likes this.
  2. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The one that I liked best.

3. The Alembic.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Personally I like the tonal flexibility the Series I electronics afford me and the build quality of an Alembic is pretty darn awesome.

However, I will never begrudge a player that likes their Squier. Many a player has made a Squier sing.

Enjoy,

Bones

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In my world, Alembics are the shiznit. I love everything about them. Still, I don't own any Series instruments (though many claim that's where the true magic lives) because I like my electronics to be a little SIMPLER than what the Series has to offer. And then there is the power supply........

I'm quite certain that an Alembic would blow away a Squier CV P, but you may prefer one of the less complicated Alembic models.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yep
    Who's buying?
    :D

Both basses can cut it on a gig.
    One has significantly higher cost, and significantly higher resale value. Also better build quality and more sophisticated electronics, as well as a very different feel.

I'm a car analogy guy. This is very much like saying "which would you choose, a BMW M3, or a Mazda 3?

If I was buying, I'd probably get the Mazda. If you were buying for me, I'd take the Beemer, thank you.

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's not just stupid, it's pointless.

Comparing a $15,000 bass to a $300 bass. You must be bored. :rollno:

8. Hey me two!!:D Work on em for a living. Anyways I don't know enough about the series 1, so I would say Squier. Plus from what i have seen Alembic are $$$, out of my price range (sure it is well worth it though).

9. CORBS

CORBS Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2010
    1993 Toyota Tercel with water damage on the inside and a cracked cylinder vs. a brand new Bentley Continental GT, which would YOU pick and why?

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    squier. the cv series is a fine value and the tone is classic. with a vibe. we all know that classic sounding fenders are quite valuable. and producers love a p bass. now if you were comparing it to a series II, it would be different. those have I more than the series I.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    LMAO. I dont like either really, but of the two to have as a free prize.

Hummmm, the alembic, could sell it for more then enough to get a nice to me bass and pizza and drinks, and still have some pocket money left over.

12. The Alembic, becasue then I could sell it for a mint and buy a whole bunch of basses (including a few Squiers) and gear I would like better.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    +1

14. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I chose my wife over Cindy Crawford because I know that she would not be coveted by others.

15. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Honestly, if it was something I was going to have to play for the rest of my life...the P bass. Yes, the Alembic is beautiful. Its gorgeous, each one is unique, and I've lusted after one for years. But its too much for me; too expensive, too complicated, too flashy. If I had the Alembic I'd mostly just make it sound like a P bass anyway, and I'd be scared to take it to most gigs.

The Precision is simple, its solid, and it has the sound and feel I enjoy.

Of course in a perfect world I'd sell the Alembic and buy four Fenders with the money.

16. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    play it. like it. rock it. regardless.
    like mentioned, id play the one i like better.

whats with all the verses with the Squier CV and VM series lately?
    is Squier really confusing people that much?
    if they are mixing it up enough to throw off people's decisions, get the Squier.