Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Series II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BasketCase, Aug 4, 2001.

1. BasketCase

BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    Has anyone played one? They seem extreamly expensive to me, and I was wondering whether or not their quality is worth their price tag...

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    BasketCase,

If you can get your hands on a used Series I or Series II for $2,000 - 3,000 you'll find they are well worth it. The tones and the range of sounds is enormous. I had a 4 string Series II that I liked so much I sold it to get the cash to custom order a 5 string. USually you can find 4 string Series I & II in the used market. 5 strings are a lot harder to come by. The diff between Series I & II are:

a) Series II has more body & neck laminates
    b) Series II has continuously variable Q controls, Series I has two 3-position switches
    c) Series II has a master volume control in addition to the individual p/u vol controls.

Click the link below for user reviews of Series I & II basses. I reviewed my Series II 4 string, my Series I 4 string and my Series II 5 string (this one under Custom Signature Series).

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Alembic/

The Series II 4 string, which I no longer own, was recently sold again for @ $2,800 here's a pic.

Pics of the ones I still have are in the thread "Priciest Basses" in the event you care.

Feel free to email me if you have any detailed questions, or drop in at the Alembic Club on Yahoo.

Peace,

James

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I bought a used 1981 for less than $1700 and I think it's a great bass. I also have a Series I, but the Series II is way versatile tone wise because of the Continuously Variable Q i.e. CVQ. You can pull any tone out of this bass from P-Bass like to serious HiFi. I have a medium scale and I love the way it plays and the way it sounds. The one I have has side LED's which is great for playing on a dark stage. I would second the recommendation of going used, I don't know if the bass is worth the full retail, but if you have it like that, spend it.

4. The series 1 and 2 alembics are very nice,but there are several features on them that really could use improvement.The access to the highest frets on these basses is somewhat limited.Also because of their short horns,they do not balance very well.
    Check out A fodera or an Elrick Bass.Much better design and balance.
    p e a c e

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I would agree that the Small Body design doesn't balance well, but the Point Body and Omega Body full size basses balance as well as anything else I've ever owned. The Small Body tends to be neck heavy. Same with the Spoiler and probably the Distillate. This can be countered by strapping the bass up high, if that's a comfortable playing position for you.

The larger bodies on the Point and Omega design efficiently counter the weight of the neck. Can't really say much about the higher fret access. I've never had a problem getting to the 24th on any Alembic design, but it does look as though that would be easier on a Fodera. I'll have to try the Elrick next time I'm at Huber & Breese.

Peace,

James