Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic SF-2??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Feb 21, 2003.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    My rig consists of the following:
    Furman Power Conditioner
    Korg DTR-2 Tuner
    Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp
    QSC RMX850 poweramp (bridged)

I play through an Eden D-410T cab with a Ken Smith BSR5M bass. I'm looking to make some adjustments to my rig to improve or tighten my tone. I'm not dissatisfied with my current tone because I like the Ampeg pre and Eden cab and I LOVE my Smith bass. I just want to get some different types of tone and also be able to adjust for room acoustics.

So, I'm considering adding an Alembic SF-2 superfilter. I've read several threads about it and experimented briefly with it once. My question is this: Is the SF-2 a worthwhile addition to my current setup? I play mostly gospel and funk. I can't try it with my rig because no one in my area sells it. So, I would appreciate the input of the group.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have an SF2. It is amazing! One word of caution though, if you don't know what you are doing with that thing you will hurt something. You can't just set it with extreme setting like most people do on bass amps. A little dab will do ya! Get one. You will not be disappointed.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, I don't know if I can answer that question. :)

It's very powerful, but it's also complicated. A parametric or big graphic EQ would probably work better to adjust for room response - the SF-2 doesn't really have a " band cut" feature. You can approximate it by boosting other frequencies, but that might not be as intuitive to you.

I'd go into detail about how I use mine, but it's pretty tied up with the fact that I run two channels and use an F2B and a SansAmp as well (I use the EQ on both of those in conjunction with the SF2).

As for tightening your tone, I'm going based on the word of others here, but maybe try some other cabs out - Edens are a bit loose in the upper bass from what I've heard.