Alembic SF-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicbones, Dec 31, 2000.

1. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey fellow bassists,

I recently added an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter to my amp system. I've just scratched the surface with it but so far, I'm very impressed. The ability to shape the tone is amazing. My one keeper tone is a super growl that fits wonderfully with my Steinberger.

Is anybody else using this device out there and if so, what kind of settings or configurations are giving you the best results?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    I haven't used one, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Keep us posted on your adventures with it, I might be interested in investing in one fairly soon :)
  3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Hey Bones, Whats the deal with the SF-2. Do you like it? & have you tried it as a stand alone pre-amp?
  4. That device is near the top of my must-buy list.
  5. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Any update on SF-2 happiness? I have wanted one for ever, but the are expensive? Has anyone seen a used one ever?
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    they come up used every once in a while on ebay. You should also go visit the Alembic club at Members there will offer used ones on occasion. Even used they are around $500-600, and worth every penny.

As far as settings go, when trying to find a sweet low end boost, be sure to try bandpass as well as the LPF.

If you typically have the direct up full, when you find a cool setting, try backing off the direct various amounts, nice things can happen.

When you find a sweet frequency, try alternately; boosting the level while backing off the damping, or; boosting the damping while backing off the level.

If you typically use each filter on different frequency ranges, try using both on the same area, just with slightly different frequencies.

The SF-2 gives me the BIGGEST, most Bombastic, yet not muddy or muffled low end I have ever experienced.