Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Stanley Clarke "Brown Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Anyone tried this bass? I have been wanting a alembic SC or series I or II shortscale small body forever. Are they worth it? Is it a good bass for funk, fushion, Jazz, anything? I have never played on one but am pretty sure I want one.:cool:

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    People either seem to love them or hate them because of their electronics.

I have had a couple series I's and thought they were great for home use. For a gigging bass it gets to be a little bit of a PITA to dial in your sound on stage......

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The thing with higher end Alembics is you have to try at least one and form your own opinion. I've owned a Stanley Clarke Signature as well as a small bodied Series I and a small bodied Series II. Don't have any of them anymore because I prefer the 34" scale Series I and Series II that I still have.

As far as the electronics on the Brown Bass, it's kind of a best of both worlds blend of Signature bass electronics and Series I electronics. Alembic basses electronics on most of their models around Q-filtering, as opposed to bass, treble, and midrange cut and boost. Some people love this, others hate it. Me, personally, I'm indifferent. I simply know that I can get an amazing palette of tones out of my basses.

DHuff is right that if you're not careful you can adjust yourself into oblivion. Most Alembic players I talk to regularly have a set of approximate settings that they tend to gravitate to. Same applies to me. I probably do more tweaking on my amp and preamp than I do with my basses.

Again, the key is to try a Signature or a Series I/ II if you are ever presented the opportunity.

Peace,

James

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    well I just do not know. I have always been very fascinated with them and have wanted one forever. I would be trading two basses for it and one used to be my main ax it is a 75 J. But I am fixing to go to music school and want 2 great basses to swith around on. So if I did get it I would then own a stanard Jazz and a SC alembic. Being short scale does it loose any fundamentals in tone, playability, slapping? I love to hear Armand Sabel-Lecco play on his series II short scale. That is what made me want one so bad.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I tried a brown bass a while back and it just wasn't for me - didn't like the body shape, the sound, the action, the feel, nothin. But then again I love Rogues and Elans, so go figure.

Bottom line, you gotta at least get one in your hands before you'll know for sure.

oh and, be sure you're ready to give up that 75 jazz. don't make the same mistake we all have...