Alembic - Stanley Clarke

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, May 7, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's so good about [owning and playing] the 30" scale Alembic basses? Are they normally tuned E-A-D-G? I had a dream about owning a Stanley Clarke bass...hmmm.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  3. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've played one, and it has a killer tone. Possible the best I've ever heard, but its the same tone as all the other alembics, so its really not that special other wise.

Also you might be talking about some thing different, b/c the one I played was really old. It was from the first 100, and I don't remember the neck being that short.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've owned an Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature, which is a 30 3/4" scale, normally tuned EADG, but you can always string it differently if you want.

I've also owned Alembic small body Series I and Series II basses. Both were 32" scale basses. They are the same shape as the Stanley Clarke Signature basses. The Stanley Clarke Signature line was started in '86 or '87 as less expensive (oxymoron?) copies of the Series I small body short scale that Stanley Clarke normally plays. He has at least one that he tends to tune ADGC.

Within the past 5 years I've owned 6 Alembic basses, no two sounding alike, so I'm always puzzled when people say "oh, all Alembics sound alike". The two I still have couldn't sound anymore different. I tend to think P basses and J basses sound more alike than my two Alembics, but people who swear they can listen to a recording and tell if it was recorded with a P or a J will also tell me my two basses "have that Alembic sound". Oh well.

5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

To answer the question you REALLY asked, I thought the Stanley Clarke Signature I had was one of the most fun basses to play that I have ever owned. The short scale makes it a breeze to get around the fretboard. I've heard people say that short scale basses are inherently muddy in tone, but I didn't find that to be the case with this one.

Stanley Clarke's are expensive, so I'd like to think that enough thought and workmanship went into the construction to offset any deficiencies short scale designs might have. I've heard people say that the short scales promote floppy strings. I've also heard that Alembics and Danelectro are notable exceptions to this tendency. YMMV.