Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic users...........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How do you guys like your alembics?????

I have an '83 Alembic Spoiler that i bought for $500. It's koa body side with maple neck. I like the sound. I'm using TI Flats on her, and she sounds great. I just don't like the body all that much:p would it be worth wild to upgrade my Spoiler to the series I preamp?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    If you don't like the body, sell it and get something you like. Your in the Alembic at a good price, so you could make a few bucks to but toward something you like.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thats true....but it;s just that i love the sound....and I've heard that the series I electronics kicks

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    It just depends on what you like. Yes they are cool and you get alot of freq, phase tones, but if the body isn't for you then I wouldn't bother. If you want something with different phasing and freq sounds try a wal.
    Alembic series I electronics are going to cost for $1000!!!! And thats not installed!

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    this might sound dumb. but whats a wal?

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    A wall is something that serparates your rooms.

A wal is an english made bass. Been around for quite some time. Geddy Lee, Flea and a number of other artist have used wals. Their known for being real good in the studio as well.

Really cool basses, if you haven't ever played one you need to.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hmmm....... interesting

8. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Here's a Wal . :)
    [​IMG]

PJR

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bassgreaser,

You got a really sweet deal on your Spoiler. Brian's advice is sound. If you really think you want to move up the Alembic food chain, don't do it by modifying the Spoiler. Sell it and use the proceeds to move up. I started with a Spoiler, moved up to a Stanley Clarke, then found a Series I and a Series II, each dirt cheap (in an Alembic sorta way).

Brian, if I recall correctly I sold that Series II to you. It's moved a couple times since

Series I and Series II instruments are not everybody's cup o' tea. It would be nice if you could play one strapped up the way you'd normally wear your bass. The small bodied basses (like Stanley Clarke's bass) can have neck balance issues. The larger bodied basses (like Mark King's) are overwhelming and/or heavy for some people. Weight, as you could guess, varies by wood choice.
    I currently have a Series I 4 string (walnut, 9 lbs) aand a Series II 5 string (cocobolo 13.5 lbs). Some folks (self included at times) are overwhelmed by all the controls. You can dial yourself into oblivion if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. I have a few settings that I like for different types of music and I stick with those.

I didn't make a ton of money on the 4 Alembics I've sold, but I didn't lose anything either. I kept each long enough to figure out what I wanted from the next one. The two I currently still have are keepers.

You can generally find Stanley Clarke and Mark King Signature models used for a couple grand. You can find Series I used for a couple hundred more. Series II are hard to come by. Rogue, Europa and Essence models are also very nice if you get a chance to play any of those. I tend to not speak on the Excel or Epics, 'cause I've not spent a lot of time playing them and in terms of styling they are not something I'd buy. Doesn't mean their not good basses, just not my interest.

It is VERY hard to find a Series I or Series II that you can play before you buy, unless you happen to live near a dealer or a really nice person who owns one, but if you can, do so.

Hope I've helped.

Peace,

James

[​IMG]

10. *Homer voice on*
    MMM... Wal... gahh...
    *Homer voice off*

That's a beautiful Wal.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My spoiler isn't the best...it has dents and dings. I was thinking I could get the same sound a series 1 does by putting in that preamp.

12. series 1 isnt "just a preamp"... its actually a whole set of stuff:

two single coil pickups
    a hum-canceling "dummy" pickup
    special 'hum-cancel balancing' preamp
    the usual Alembic "low-pass-filter" tone controls

so you dont just swap pups, you need to do routing too.. and BTW the list price for series 1 "upgrade option" from say, a Rogue is US$2600

I think you'd have to play the series vs AXY/MXY type systems in two 'very similar instruments' (wood types, body size, etc) to determine how much of a difference the series pups make. You'd need to be near a major Alembic dealer to try that, tho!

Do you find yer stock spoiler electronics to be 'noisy', or 'quiet'?

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I also got my Alembic Essence pretty cheap, and I love it. It is a very well made, great sounding instrument and I wouldn't want to change anything on it - it's perfect the way it is.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    There's also a circuit board change. That's where a lot of the cost is. I restored/upgraded a 1974 Series I that had the electronics decimated by a previous owner. The fact that the circuit board was still in place and undamaged saved me a ton of money. Quite frankly, I would not have done it if I had to buy a new circuit board, 'cause then it would have been around the $2,600 that is the option price.

Peace,

James

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Howzabout I give you a little warning 1st ;) ?

BTW - Josh, if you're ever in the Detroit area, feel free to give 'em a test drive.

Peace,

James

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Beauties, James.

17. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I love my Series II

[​IMG]