alembic vs. modulus vs. ritter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by didjeridont, Sep 12, 2005.

1. didjeridont

Sep 12, 2005
    I was just wondering what the differences (besides price) are between alembic modulus and ritter
  2. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I own a Ritter Roya 4 (Triplebuckers) and a Modulus Genesis 5 (Bartolini Soapbars) and really like both. Very easy to play ... the Genesis is more mellow and Fender Jazzy, whereas the Ritter is clean with almost an excessive number of controls. It's also very light, whereas the Modulus is a bit heavy. I also highly recommend the Ritter Swordsteel strings ... very balanced.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Let's have a (usually) neck-through exotic wood bass with proprietary electronics, a bolt-on graphite necked bass with fairly standard American woods and electronics, and a bolt-on wood-necked bass with European electronics and exotic finishes.

They're all fine, high quality instruments, but many of the differences seem pretty obvious to me based simply on specs! Do you maybe have specific questions, or specific things you're looking for?

4. Actually visited some shops this past weekend which had an entire army of Moduluses, a 9 string Ritter, and an Alembic (either the orion or the epic, whatever one has the non-existent lower horn). The Alembic was the only one I could muster up the courage to actually pick up and play on. I found it to be really nice, by far the most comfortable neck I've ever touched (super low action and not a hint of buzz, I did not believe this was truely possible, but was proven wrong). The tone was less than I expected though. Not really a soloistic sound, but more fit to blend in a mix better I guess. Didnt sound as sparkly and complex as I hoped, and had alot of midrange. I couldnt even bring myself to ask to try one of the Moduluses or the Ritter. They were surrounded by a sea of Sadowskys, a Fodera, Lakelands, and some nice USA Spectors. I felt like I was in a Ferrari dealership. Just didnt feel right test driving with no intent to buy.
  5. didjeridont

Sep 12, 2005
    what is the difference in sound and action? i dont know a lot about the way the through body, graphite and excessive bolts necks and the different woods do, i never really understood why different basses sound different, just like to play. I also played a modulus Q5 last night, if anyone could make comparisons to that, that would be cool
  6. I own a used Modulus Quantum 4 and for lack of a better term, it is a work horse through and through.

The Q4 I have is setup with the Bartolini soapbars and the V/B/Bass/Treb. format powered by a 9V and it really is made for people who want a high-end instrument that can be taken wherever need be without fear of constant adjustment. The tone is great but it does take some time to get used to. I had to have the pickups raised a bit to actually get more output out of the Bartolini's which I felt were too soft in the mix. Now, they're really, really apparent, especially when I dial my amp with boosted mids.

Nevertheless, I cannot necessarily comment on the other instruments you mentioned above, but according to the search feature, they are highly regarded.