Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic VS Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 7, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I find myself in the position of choosing between an '80 Alembic Persuader and an '01 Spector American bolt-on. I've never played either of these. Anyone got some insight?

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'm not an Alembic fan, get the Spector.

3. Never played an Alembic, but I don't like their looks and their price tag. They seem to be fine instruments, though, they sound good from what I've heard.

You can't go wrong with the Spector, though.

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    That's a really nice Alembic, but if it's up against a US bolt-on Spector.... it has to be the Spector... :bassist: :)

5. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have an Alembic (an Orion 4-string) but also happen to like Spectors.

My advice: make sure you play both of them before you choose. You might be surprised about how little things about certain basses might annoy/bother/turn you off.

6. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Bear in mind that Persuaders are 32" scale and therefore a bit easier to play than a Spector. Persuaders are also relatively rare with the P/J configuration. I'd personally chose the Alembic.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You guys gotta be kidding! A Spector over an Alembic?! That's like preferring a Camary over a Porsche! I own both and there's really no comparison. I will say this; there's a lot of places I'll take the Spector that I won't take the Alembic. If something is going to be put at risk, I'd risk the $500 bass rather than the $1500 bass.

8. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I have 2 Alembic's

BUY the alembic

9. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    USA Spectors are NOT $500 basses.....

try 3500......

:)

GET THE SPECTOR!!!!!

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I stand corrected. But that doesn't change my opinion; get the Alembic.

11. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    LOL - :D

Gotcha.

(get the spector)....

12. I'm afraid you'll get many answers of Alembic and Spector owners advising you to buy their favourite brand. Although I'm a real Alembic fanatic I won't do that. Soundwise Alembics are very different when compared to other brands. The natural hifi tone can be one persons house of horrors, and another persons holy grail of tone. Just try them out both, you'll find that they are VERY different beasts in almost every aspect, and you'll also find yourself preferring one of them almost immediately. Take your time, use your hands, ears and eyes to make up your mind and choose accordingly. Good luck!

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I wouldn't pay $3500 for a bolt on neck bass personally. Tonally the Alembic and Spector are fairly different I would go by what sounded best to me, I doubt that you'll be disappointed by either.

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    ... You're really takling two different animals. The Alembic will sound, look, and feel totally different from the Spector. You actually need to buy BOTH!
    My Alembic Persuader is a 34" scale, 5-string that has the regular AXY pickups. PM me if you want to see a picture, I'm putting it on the 'bay this week.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    The best Idea yet!

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You, sir, are a wise and reasonable man. Salute!

17. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Sure, a fiver will have a longer scale and soaps, BUT, the 4-string Spoilers and Persuaders were only differentiated in that the more common Spoilers had soapbars, while the Persuader had a P/J configuration.

18. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I thought the persuader was a 32" scale only. Whatcha gonna ask for it on the 'bay?

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I dont know. I just saw a cool 4-string Persuader go for about 1200... I figure I should get around that for a long-scale fiver.

20. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Wanna trade?