Alembic vs. Warwick: Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Feb 4, 2006.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I've been torturing myself over a decision on a new bass recently, and here's how it turned out...

*I know - if I like it and if it feels nice and sounds good, then it's the right choice. I'm just curious what you would have done.*

I got a used 1987 Alembic Elan. (It was tagged as 1987, but the serial starts with an 89. I need to look it up.)

It came down to the Alembic, or a Warwick Thumb Bleached Blonde limited edition. (number 3 of 300-something, signed and everything with the really cool mountain/wolf inlays.)

Both were used, both nice, both cost almost the same.
    The Warwick had a little fret wear, but it was in otherwise mint condition.
    The Alembic is incredible condition. I can't find anything wrong with it.

It was a hard decision, because I like Warwick, I like Warwick Thumb basses in particular, and it's one cool looking bass.
    On the other hand, I have NEVER come across an Alembic in a store before, and I didn't know if I should pass up the chance to own one.

All that said, I really like the Alembic. I plays incredibly well - very, very smooth. I only have my crappy practice amp here, but it even sounds great on that.

Pics soon.
    I'm having a hard time describing the finish. It's sort of... Smokey.

So what would you have done?
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to your profile, you've had Warwicks in the past, right? But you've never had an Alembic. Therefore, I think you made the right choice.
  3. the 3 stands for 2003 :) All them say 3/###

As for if you did a smart thing? I think you went with your gut feeling and you made the right choice for yourself. You've owned some nice warwicks before, so you knew what you were getting into. When I have a decision like that, I put myself in the situation that there's a fire and the 2 basses are the only ones I can reach.. and I can only take one. I reach for one, and that's the one I buy.

That alembic is likely to keep its value so if you decide its not for you, you can always sell it and start again ;)

That aside, I love my Bleach Blonde. It sings as beautiful as it looks.
  4. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Yes, you did the right thing!

Now go HERE and join up!
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    ^^^What he said^^^ Especially the invite to the Alembic Club.

I'm on my 5th and 6th Alembics. Used Alembics hold their value well. You can generally sell them for what you've paid for them. New ones will depreciate quickly, especially if they are highly customized, but used ones pretty much hold their own and even appreciate in value.

As far as whether you did the right thing, I'd say yes. Warwicks are typically not that hard to find. Alembic Elans are no longer produced (unless you special order). If you absolutely hate it, you can get your money back out of it and find another Warwick. Might not work as smoothly the other way around.

(Resident TB Alembic fiend)
  6. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    You said you really like the way the Alembic played. So yes you made the right choice! I love my Alembic!

7. Yup, you made the right choice.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    NO!!!! You have failed mightily! Now look away! I have no interest in either brand, I just happen to know that you chose foolishly, now you'll have to live it. Hopefully you've learned from this, and can grow from it. Now, look down at your shoes and leave the room quietly.

BTW, pay no attention to the sig. :bag:
  9. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Sounds like the right choice to me. Wait til you hear it through some heftier equipment!
  10. ANYTIME someone chooses an Alembic over a Warwick, it's the right choice!