Alembic vs Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Apr 13, 2001.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Anyone have experience with both of these basses? Particularly the Alembic Mark King model or just Alembics in general? I have a Warwick Thumb now and may be picking up an Alembic Mark King model. I was wondering how they compared soundwise and playabilitywise. Any quirks with the Alembics. I know either way my shoulder is gonna be screamin. Help me out guys/gals
  2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    alembic basses blow warwicks away , imo, my guitar players older bro has an alembic epic, and i used to use it , and omg, it was nice, it sounded, felt and played better than the warwicks. imo, and the epic is alembics bottom bass,,,
  3. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    That is correct. ^
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I believe the concept Alembic takes in it's use of electronics sets it apart from other basses. I don't mean to say are "the best, bar none", thats up to the individual player and what they like to hear. But the "low pass filter", Q switch, dummy hum cancelling p/u, stereo output, etc. features that are components of the various Alembic models are very cool indeed. Then there's the craftsmanship of the woodwork, it speaks for itself.

I recently saw a used Mark King Signature 5 string at Bass Northwest and it was truly a work of art.

There are a lot of people that dig Warwicks out there, and I give them their props, but if I could have any bass, it's origin would be from the Alembic factory.

Happy Easter,

5. I'll second that
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    id say that alembic is usually built a little better unless you get a custom made warwick like i did! But id miss my warwick sound! Ive played several alembics they are truly badd asssss basses! But for my sound for funk i will stick to my custom warwick corvette pro-line! But if i was going to change sounds around and could afford one id get me a alembic! And i didnt find that alembics felt any better to play! But id say they generally are built better!
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Alembic makes a few great basses but, by and large, they are heavy as anvils and many of them neck-dive like a mofo. If you ever need service, forget it. Alembic's staff are the absolute worse bunch of arogant, lying weasels I've EVER encountered! Get the Warwick.
  8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    You cannot compare Alembic and Warwick, they are of different quality. I have and Elan 5 , the workmanship , etc so much different than my Dolphin, of course Alembic is of the better side but Warwick is so much cheaper. I bought Dolphin at approx US1,000 while the Elan cost me over US 3,000.
    If you start asking custom made Warwick it also cost you alot.
    Beside if you go for cheapo Warwick like Streamer standard or Corvette standard they are really sucks.
  9. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I find it quite humorous about those who complain about how heavy Alembic basses are. Agreed, they're heavier than the average beast, but I've played many a 4 set gig with my Essence 5 string, and shoulder fatigue is the last thing that's on my mind at the end of the night.

Maybe some of you guys need a little extra work in the weight room :).

Take Care,

10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA is it a neck thru?

if so...HOOK ME UP!!!!

i'll take a 5string NT thank you very much ;)

11. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    no offence but I don't think your custom Corvette is built any different than other Pro-Line corvettes.
    Alembics surely have gorgeous wood laminations but I'm sure it's possible to encounter poorly constructed lemons (not as much as with Warwick nowdays for sure) so good woodowork doesn't mean better craftsmanship.

anyway, these are two different basses, Alembic may be more hi-end but I wont say that makes it better because it depends on what sound and feel you want to get from your bass.

I own a Warwick, and while I know there are many better basses (within the Warwick family too) I feel it's the best bass in the world because it just feels right for me.

if I found a Rouge or Squire that felt more right to me than it would become the best bass in the world...for me that is. it's all in the eye of the beholder so try before you buy.
  12. I'm an Alembic owner. I played alot of warwicks. I'd say both of them are good basses. They did what they're supposed to do. For ex. a Rolls Roys compared to BMW, one of them is made more luxorius than the other. Both of them are not cheap, they did what they're made for(transportation). But they're different yet the same. Alembics are fine example of wood craftmanship, has great electronics(LPF, selectable Q and etc). But they're still a bass...give it to a non musicians, they'll probably appreciate Alembic more than Warwick simply because of their more "exotic" look. But I think they sounded different, and have their advantages and disadvantages. CAn't really compare 'em. Both are great basses.
  13. I own an Alembic Epic and I absolutely love it. It doesn't even have the famous Alembic LPF but it's still amazing.
    But I like Warwicks too and in fact I would like to get an FNA Jazzman but the fact is, what has been mentioned before, these basses are very different. From a sound viewpoint the Warwicks are, in general more raw and suited for rock, while Alembics, in general have a more refined sound. In truth they're very equal depending on what you like.
    Appearance and construction is where these two companies take much different turns. Alembics are completely made by hand with EXTREME attention to detail. Alembics are made only with the best of the best materials. Warwicks, some of them, are also good-looking but they are only assembled by hand while all of their parts are made by machines(at least the new ones are).
    Alas we arrive at the ever famous impass, to each his own. But I like both of them(Alembic a little more). You take your pick
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, right. If you've got to lift weights to handle your bass you've got a bass that's too heavy, pal. There's WAY better basses out there, by the way. Roscoe and Ken Smith to name two. And they don't weigh a ton, either. Alembics are logs, for the most part. I own a Custom 5 fretless that's nice but it's way too heavy and unbalanced as hell when hanging from a strap. Suitable for studio work or a set on a gig and that's about it.
  15. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I would agree Ken Smith's and Roscoe's are great basses. Maybe I'll be able to add one to my arsenal one day.

Boogie, I'm sorry you didn't get my little bit of humor. I guess comedy is best left to the professionals.

Happy Easter,

16. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My Alembic Essence weighs considerably less than my G&L L2500, and about the same as my 70s Fender Jazz. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe because mine is an early model with swamp ash body and maple top, but not all Alembics are heavy.
  17. My Alembic Rogue 5 St is heavy. But my "heavy" is not necesarilly heavy to others. I am 175cm tall, 65kg. Quite a skinny asian guy...and I played that bass standing up in a concert for more than 3 hrs. IMO for a bass being heavy, it helps alot with it's denseness creating distinct timbre(sound-i don't mean timber); which produce a longer sustain, punchier sound.
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    My warwick corvette was a custom job because i wanted the swamp ash body! I think it adds a good growl to it! Most of them dont have swamp ash bodys so mine was a baby! And ya it was constructed better! You should see the diff between my custom bass and the new warwicks! Just alot more care into making it!
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eric, the construction on all of the newer Warwicks isn't what it was 2 or 3 years ago, IMHO. Even though I am not a big fan, all of the ones that I used to see in shops compared with any production models on the market. This hasn't been the case for the past year or 2, IME.

Have you compared you baby to higher end Streamers(Stage I and II) and Dolphins from 3+ years ago?