Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Withdrawals Cured

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Mar 11, 2003.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey All,

Today my new bass arrived in town from the fine folks at Alembic. It's a custom Europa 5 string with a Coco Bolo top, Series I electronics and abalone inlays. The following pictures don't do justice to what it looks like in person but I thought I'd post them to give you all a peak. Needless to say, I'm quite stoked. Rehearsal should be quite fun tomorrow.

Bones

2. :eek:

If that thing sounds even 1/2 as good as it looks,

you will be the pimpinest. :cool:

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet bass bro.

Peace
    Nick

4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Thats awesome, beautiful bass man. Tell us how it does in practice. (but I think I already know how it will perform) ;) :D

Enjoy!:)

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Sweeeet!! we need sound clips!

just noticed there is another thread without pics...might wanna get rid of it....

6. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    wow! you are making me jealous even though i just got a Ken Lawrence Unity 5.....wow.... europa body, sreies 1 'tronics........wow....
    sound clips please!:bassist:

wow

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'll see if I can get some sound clips soon. Rehearsal tonight will be fun.

Bones

8. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Wow.....Nice Bass!! You have to love the fine craftmanship that comes out of Santa Rosa! Great pick for wood...my '90 Distillate has a Coco Bolo top. It is one of the nicest woods IMHO!

Best of luck with it!!!

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    AB,

Looks great, but different than other Series I/IIs. No pin jack for stereo! How you gonna run the signal? Via a stereo cable to a splitter box? Is the signal stereo split between neck and bridge like other Series basses? Photos please!

Cheers,

Ken

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry that the pics are so fuzzy. The electronics do include the 5 pin jack. Whenever practical, I play on running it in stereo.

Bones

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    [Monte Burns voice] Excellent [/Monte Burns voice]

I can't recall if your other Alembics were coco bolo. If not, then I gotta ask.....Don't you just love that complex multi-layered sound of coco bolo? I'm assuming mahogany core and maple body lams, right?

Peace,

James

12. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    James,

I've never experienced Coco Bolo in the past (Vermillion, Bocate, and Ziricote). I'm just scratching the surface on tones, but on first inspection, I think this bass is superior in tone, fit, and feel to my old Series II (which is saying alot). I'm looking forward to many happy years with this bass.

Bones

13. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Oh! OK. There it is! ;) Great looking bass!